"Higher Standards" Logo Firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzseaside55

Okay - so we all have heard anyone can be fired at any time for any reason - and maybe I should just get over it. But I haven't in the last 18 months.

I was an extremely productive mortgage loan officer for one of the nation's top banks - working brutal hours and chasing the American Dream. With just a few months to vesting my retirement account, several million dollars of pending loans in my pipeline, etc. and constantly receiving kudos from management I was pretty satisfied.

I Walked into work after a brief coffee break one afternoon to find an "investigator" from the bank to question me about my personal bank account. I had been periodically overdrawn - largely because I never had/took the time to keep track of myself. Many times I would have a deposit on my desk and never make it to the bank floor to deposit. She also wasn't happy about the way I "spent" my money - often using foreign ATM's and withdrawing lots of cash - sometimes at a bank adjacent to a bar/restaurant that also had lottery games.

At first I thought the whole thing was wierd - then asked if I was in some sort of trouble and then if maybe I should call my attorney. She acknowledged that any overdrafts were always covered, etc. but was very hung up about the cash withdrawals - which I explained were largely due to paying contractors, subs and laborers on two houses we were remodeling - and I often met them at the restaurant - and yes, even sometimes played the lottery - it was a legal state sponsored form of entertainment.

After about an hour of her interrogation - I was fired - because although nothing would happen to a "regular" bank customer - as an employee I was held to a "higher standard" - their current logo. This was done rather publicly in front of other bank employees and even appointments waiting to see me. It was then broadcast throughout the entire division state-wide and all employees in my division were told to go open accounts at a different bank.

Beyond the humiliation, it was so public that the whole story was told to a recruiter for a bank I went to work for by a guy in another state! The interesting thing is that I was in conflict with the bank division over them farming my referral sources for a couple months prior to this happening - and the bank ended up profiting to the tune of about $50,000 from keeping my pension fund and pipeline business.

I've never talked to anyone about it because I'm so embarrassed - but its just never, ever felt like ...well legal. Oh, still have the same bank account - which I keep out of spite. I feel like they owe me the $50,000.

Take your handbook to a lawyer,I would not hold out a lot of hope. If you live in a State that recognizes terminating at-will employee should be made in good faith,and fair dealing. There may be a case. Massachusetts,and California do a little better than most of the country in these cases,but not much. Its a interesting area of law,and there are attorneys that want to test this theory. Your right though the at will presumption is a powerful argument for employers in all states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back