High Schools Responsibility to a Self Funded Sports Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMillz

We are a self funded / parent ran non-for profit organization for the sport of ice hockey at the Varsity and Junior Varsity level. Our high school supports and recognizes us as such along with the state affiliates. We receive no monies from the school and support our players thru various fundraiser and membership dues.
We currently have 36 players that have registered and payed the initial fees which the membership and board of directors set forth and agreed upon. Unfortunately we have two past members that do not agree with some of the boards policies and wish to pay the school directly for their share of the years expense to play and the school will then pay the club. The problem with that is we have to calculate the years expenses for ice time, jerseys, practices ex. ex. ex. and cannot do so until all players are registered by our deadlines which has long past
Meeting with the athletic director from the school, he has informed the board that no athlete shall pay the fees directly to the school nor to anyone affiliated with the school (coaches, teachers) and to inform them in writing immediately.
Now we just received a phone call from the school saying that these individuals will be permitted to pay their fees directly to the school. Our thoughts are if the school is willing to take monies from certain individuals then why wouldn't they absorb and take responsibility for the entire club/membership and all fees associated with running a high school sports team.
I guess my questions would be can the school legally do this? Are they acting as a third party? Is this acting in a tortuous/bios manner? I'm not sure how to proceed with this matter and would appreciate any and all advice given so i can convey our situation to the membership in more detail.

Thank You

You gotta be kidding me?
The kids should be what is important, not a couple rogue parents.
The school doesn't have to allow you to operate, no matter how you operate.
The rogue parents are, no doubt troublemakers, but they have a valid legal point.
The kids attend a public school.
Your group is allowed to operate pursuant to an exemption from a public school.
You haven't yet faced the dilemma, but one day will, of a child too poor to pay your fees.
The public school can't deny this child(ren).

You had better prepare for that eventuality one day.

But, in the interim, let the rogue parents pay the school.
The school can simply hand over the checks to you, subsequent to the endorsement thereupon by the school.
That way, your fine organization can continue to serve the kids.
Do you really want to deny two children access to your organization becaus ethey have two rogue parents? :no:

I'm sure you don't.
So, work it out.
Make it happen.
Help these kids learn something about sportsmanship, cooperation, teams, and being good citizens by "grinning & bearing it".
After all, don't you do this for the kids, and NOT adults? :yes:
You're doggone right you do!

Army Judge,
Thank you for your response. I just want to clarify a few thing though. We as a board will never refuse any child a spot on the team whether it be on the varsity squad or the jv squad. We also have run into the situation that the parents just simply couldn't pay for the season due to financial difficulties and have in place a payment plan along with some financial aid, fundraising options available to them. We always make those situations work for the child to be able to play.
Please understand that this club was in place 3 years prior to the current board taking office and without our efforts the club would have ceased to exist. We in 1 years time gave the kids a home rink, banners, team uniforms, banquets, senior night and pasta parties before all games. Simply a sport that they can be proud of being a part of.
Lets not get off track here. With any successful organization their must be a set of rules and regulations for all to abide by. That being said we have 36 members including the board that do abide by these rules and guess what it works well. We just feel that the school is undermining our club and for me to go to the membership and inform them that they have decided to make concessions for a few and not all will be extremely disruptive to the membership and vitality of what we all worked so hard to accomplish. Unfortunately it isn't as simple for the school to hand over a check. Two or three payments make a big difference when budgeting a sport that cost in excess of $35,000.00 a year. Also we have the dilemma of the jerseys that needed to be ordered in time for the seasons start. All these parents had to do is register and pay a deposit of $250.00. I just don't get it!!
Anyway thanks for listening to me shout out. It helps sometimes!!

Army Judge,
Thank you for your response. I just want to clarify a few thing though. We as a board will never refuse any child a spot on the team whether it be on the varsity squad or the jv squad. We also have run into the situation that the parents just simply couldn't pay for the season due to financial difficulties and have in place a payment plan along with some financial aid, fundraising options available to them. We always make those situations work for the child to be able to play.
Please understand that this club was in place 3 years prior to the current board taking office and without our efforts the club would have ceased to exist. We in 1 years time gave the kids a home rink, banners, team uniforms, banquets, senior night and pasta parties before all games. Simply a sport that they can be proud of being a part of.
Lets not get off track here. With any successful organization their must be a set of rules and regulations for all to abide by. That being said we have 36 members including the board that do abide by these rules and guess what it works well. We just feel that the school is undermining our club and for me to go to the membership and inform them that they have decided to make concessions for a few and not all will be extremely disruptive to the membership and vitality of what we all worked so hard to accomplish. Unfortunately it isn't as simple for the school to hand over a check. Two or three payments make a big difference when budgeting a sport that cost in excess of $35,000.00 a year. Also we have the dilemma of the jerseys that needed to be ordered in time for the seasons start. All these parents had to do is register and pay a deposit of $250.00. I just don't get it!!
Anyway thanks for listening to me shout out. It helps sometimes!!

You're welcome.
I am sure your group does good things for kids.
But, these parents (as well as the new board) might want to destroy or disrupt your operation.
Could it be that the parents don't get it?

Don't allow one or two rogue parents to destroy all the good things you've done and have yet to do.
There aren't legal remedies for every human interaction.
We aren't a dictatorship.
The parents send their kids to public school.

You are in a tenuous position.
Is this where you choose to die?
Sometimes you just have to ignore fools.
Otherwise, they can lead you to your destruction.
That is how the "JUDAS" goat leads unsuspecting sheep to the slaughter.

If I were you, I'd inform your board of the things you've said here.
I'd suggest allowing the two kids to play until things can get resolved.
Yours is an unofficial entity.
You're operating on the good will and good graces of the board.
Don't let these rogue parents (who may have a destructive agenda) lead you where you don't want to go!

Before my injury in the military I was a high school wrestling, football, basketball, baseball official. I have donated my officials check back to the school many times to buy shoes for kids that can't afford them. So I understand what army judge is talking about with a kid that can't afford payment. I may add one thing here... Once the school accepts payment from these parents then this team would fall under the guidelines of New Jersey's governing body for high schools sports. Which is in trouble by the way.
http://blog.nj.com/hssportsextra/2010/10/delaware_officials_paint_troub.html

If student A gets hurt, parents then can sue school as well since they accepted these payments?

Maybe a sit down with the AD could get the results your seeking. Remember this please..... A kid can't always provide $$ to play. The kid could have 7 brothers, sisters and a father that had a major heart attack that put him out of work. But loves the sport. Talk with local stores, business etc... to help the kid find a job to help pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back