Hidden Cameras in Work Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousTech

My jurisdiction is: Kentucky

I work in a pathology laboratory on the night shift. The company has just recently appointed a "new" supervisor. He was an employee that took over after the original supervisor retired. A lot of things have been done wrong by this new supervisor, but now I am certain he has pushed all of the employees over the top.
Let me first explain the type of person that this man is. He has a crude sense of humor that is offensive and sick to a lot, and has said sexually inappropriate things to his employees before, especially me and another woman. All of the employees that he has are woman, and therefore we take his crude sexually inappropriate humor and comments very harsh.
About 4 months ago, a random clock showed up and was sitting on a desk across from my work station. None of us thought too much about it, but we noticed that when we tried to move it or asked about it he got very defensive.
Just by putting two and two together, we finally figured out that the clock was a hidden camera. Phone calls to us when we would come in early at the lab were being made when he should have had no idea we were there, talking about incidents that have happened that he was not there for, etc. Then another employee finally came out and told us that there was, in fact, a camera that he could watch us from his office, home, iPhone, etc.
When we got online and searched "hidden cameras", a link for this clock was the first thing to pop up. "Logitech Spy Clock Camera"
We are all very insulted and feel very violated that this has happened. Granted, it is not illegal, as far as I know, to have a hidden camera on your employees, the situation is being looked at completely different considering some of the comments that he has made to us before.
The table that the clock is sitting on, when I walk up to the table to sign out a case, it is leveled with the chest area of us women. He has commented on my looks before, and has said some pretty disturbing things. Things that I probably should have reported sooner but felt that maybe it would stop and there was no need to take it that far. But this, this is it. I have absolutely had it.
Once everyone knew about the hidden camera, we, as a group, decided to confront the head of administration and a doctor who is president of the company. They were both very angry and neither one of them knew about the camera, so it was solely his idea and doing. They called my supervisor into work, and arranged a board meeting with everyone in the department where we were able to ask questions and voice our opinion on the situation.
When we asked why he did it he replied "Because he had heard some hear say about a situation in that particular spot and he needed to look into further without them knowing". The spot that the camera was pointed directly at was MY work station. We asked if the camera fixed the so called "hear say problem" and he relied with "The problem resolved itself because there wasn't really a problem to begin with." And asked when the problem resolved itself he said "about 2 months ago".
Pretty much the only thing that the company is doing about this is giving him a "slap on the wrist". They said it is another issue that we have to get past and move on from.
I have been at this company for nearly two years, I work extremely ridiculous hours, coming in at 2am Tuesday-Saturday, and for someone to video record me where the video feed goes not only into their office, but their OWN HOME, completely disgusts me. I feel violated, I feel uncomfortable, and I feel highly disrespected and misused. As I remind you, this is the man who has said inappropriate sexual comments to me and other employees, and now he is watching while I work from the comfort of his own home WITHOUT ME EVEN KNOWING IT. Myself and every other employee in the department feels completely stripped of our integrity and security, and the thought of even going into work is enough to make us all sick.
Are there any laws against this or is there any action I and the other employees can take to ensure that he doesn't just get off with a "slap on the wrist"? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First off congratulations for acting in concert anytime you and your co-workers act in concert that is protected activity and you can not be fired for it, you also have a right to strike, but if this is a hospital you have to give 14 notice to management prior.

After the discussion with management were the cameras removed? If so you and your co-workers made your point. Any further shenanigans employ the same technique you did to get the camera removed. Its very effective and it is protected by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back