Help with used care issue.

C

Craig1980

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello, my wife and I need a little help.

On 2/28/17 my wife and I went to a used car lot because we needed a 2nd car. We paid in full cash $2,500 dollars. While test driving it, my wife said the AC was not working and was not cold. While we where singing the paperwork, "they where nice enough to fix the issues... or so they said".

They came back to us stating that the s starter solenoid tested weak and needed to be replaced, the AC compressor needed replacing and also the smart junction box needed to be replaced. All very specific things. They gave us this long story of what they were and that they were bad. So they said they would fix them... but it would take time and we could not drive the car home that day.

Long story short something else went wrong with the car and they gave my wife a loner car witch she did drive home with. About two days later, they gave us a call stating "nothing had to be replaced ... it was just an electrical problem".. and to comeback to pick up our car. I found it extreme odd that very specific parts were recognized as being bad and the next day they are fine??? We get there and the car was not ready like they said it was. An hour goes by and they pull the car up. We get in and the Digital odometer is just a bunch of dash marks------- no numbers and now the maintenance light ( a wrench symbol) is on where it wasn't before. I questioned the light and hey ststed " oh we just need to reset it". I told them NO it wasn't on before and it comes on for a reason. I want to know why it's on and why the mileage is now blank -----------. The Manager sends it back to get worked on and about 30 more mins later,they test drive it and they say the car will not go passed 35 MPH.... that it's in "limp mode".So they show us paper work that they ordered parts for a "Brain Box" because it's supposedly fried and are fixing it... "again so they say"...

Well... we had to take their loner car back to get home. It has been 6 days since we paid for the car in cash and singed the paperwork for it however we have not even driven it off the lot and have not received any update or phone call regarding th status of the vehicle... Is it possible for us to get our money back?

You could try to negotiate a different vehicle for the same price.
The dealer hasn't yet been able to deliver the vehicle to you so you might have done wiggle room.
I would be extremely leery of accepting that vehicle at this point. At the very least you need a warranty on the work they have performed.

I've been told by other victims of unscrupulous car dealers who eventually lost all their money and never got their car, or if they did get their car, it stopped running within a 24-48 hours after they somehow got it home.

The best way to find out if you can get your money back is to ask them. They may be willing to at least put you in a different car.

Back