Help with Oklahoma child support amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadtrying

My wife finally filed for our divorce. I let her do it since it seemed so important to her to file. We are using the income tax return to pay for the divorce. She refuses to show me any of the paperwork but went and filed on the 16th after cashing the tax check. We are in agreement on pretty much everything. She called and gave me the file number but no additional information. I went online to the court records and found that it had been filed and was able to read the forms filed, I was shocked when I saw that the amount figured for child support is high in comparison to my income. I have no problem paying support for my 3 children since I have been buying everything asked to buy and taking them on a regular basis to give their mom a break. My questions are these:

1. How is child support determined in Oklahoma?
2. I am not currently employed (searching in this bad economy everywhere from gas stations to walmart to call centers just to try and get some income, this is the first time I have been without steady work since I started working at age 15!) but I do receive unemployment and I am part of the Army National Guard so I do receive checks from each of them. I was told unemployment is not considered in the calculation but was not sure if it was true?
3. How do I get this adjusted? Is it possible to fill out paperwork with the correct information regarding my income and submit that to the court? My wife said she put that I was working for $8.50 an hour and that is not correct.
4. We are trying to do this as amicably as she will let it go. She is a difficult person and this is one of the primary reasons we are no longer compatible. Before someone else says it, I was not perfect in this marriage either. With this said, is it possible to do this (make/request changes) without a lawyer?

I would appreciate any assistance with this. I just want to make sure that my kids are taken care of, but I don't want to set myself up for failure by having more taken for child support then I can make. That would just cause new problems.

Thank you.

Hey man let me tell you a secret, "She's not doing this amicably." She seems to be fighting and you are not. When she files you have an opportunity to answer. You are suppose to file an answer to the claim and a financial affidavit so that child support can be calculated. ALL FORMS OF INCOME COUNT. Unemployment counts just aw your National Guard pay counts. Child support runs on federal guidelines so it is pretty standard nation wide. She sounds like she is trying to get what she can and can what she gets. You really need a lawyer and to stop acting like you and she are still on the same side. With 3 children you are going to pay about 25% of your Gross income. How close is that to what she is asking for?

With 3 children you are going to pay about 25% of your Gross income. How close is that to what she is asking for?

Right now my monthly income, with unemployment and Guard pay, is about 658.00. 25% of that would be 164.50. She is requesting $347.19. So she is asking for about half of what I make.

We have been seperated for a couple of years now and she has gone through a few men and one supposed pregnancy and during this time I became involved with a woman that I am still with and she kept telling me to just go file because then I wouldn't be the one defending myself, so to speak, and the ex would have been the one to have to get a lawyer and everything if she disagreed with anything put in the papers. I guess I should have listened.

Child support is set up on state guidelines. You need to google what your state guidelines are and see if you can find a calculator. If you are on unemployment and national guard, then your wife just cannot make up a figure here. Guidelinbes may also input an income you are capable of making, so it full time mimnimum wage equates to more than that, you might get stuck with that. The guidelines might give mom an income too. You need to do your research and do not assume mom is paying fair. She is only looking out for herself. You also need to request specific visitation.

Go to this website for help:

http://www.okdhs.org/programsandservices/ocss/docs/computation.htm

Again the only person you should be thinking about is you and your kids. Child support needs to be fair and based off guidelines, not what mom wants.

On what you say your income is, she's dreaming.
But, she'll get about $170 a month, temporarily.
When you do get a job or go on active duty, she'll petition to have the amount increased.
You would be WISE to have NO MORE children with anyone else.
If you do, the court in THIS case will not lessen your child support because you have three MORE kids.
I'm not being a prude or trying to control what you do.
I'm cautioning about a potential legal position that you might believe to be unfair.
You will support those kids until they are 18 years old.
If you don't, you'll eventually go to jail.
Your income tax refunds, assets, and earnings are subject to seizure.
Don't buy yourself MORE financial deprivation and trouble.
If you do, it will cost you, a great deal more than what you think to be unfair now.
You could see up to 60% (or MORE) of your income and assets going to support children you bred!!
Now is the time to STOP.
Stop talking with your soon-to-be-ex-wife.
It isn't helping you.
It will no longer help you.
She is determined to do what she is legally entitled to do.
You've moved on, let her move on.

Hire a lawyer and defend yourself as the law allows.

On what you say your income is, she's dreaming.
But, she'll get about $170 a month, temporarily.
When you do get a job or go on active duty, she'll petition to have the amount increased.
You would be WISE to have NO MORE children with anyone else.
If you do, the court in THIS case will not lessen your child support because you have three MORE kids.
I'm not being a prude or trying to control what you do.
I'm cautioning about a potential legal position that you might believe to be unfair.
If you do, it will cost you, a great deal more than what you think to be unfair now.
You could see up to 60% (or MORE) of your income and assets going to support children you bred!!
Now is the time to STOP.
Stop talking with your soon-to-be-ex-wife.
It isn't helping you.
It will no longer help you.
She is determined to do what she is legally entitled to do.
You've moved on, let her move on.

Hire a lawyer and defend yourself as the law allows.

I appreciate any and all information given, however, it almost sounds like you think that I do not want to support my children. Making sure my children have what they need (and what they want within reason) is the purpose of me asking for assistance in this. I do not appreciate your tone. Why is it that you, someone who does not know me, would assume that I plan to just go out and have more kids? I don't get to spend as much time with the children that I have as I would like.. why would I decrease that precious time by having more children that I would have to share it with? If I am assuming you meant more then you did.. then I apologize. There are a lot of deadbeat dads out there that do not want to pay their child support or have to bother with getting their kids for visitation. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM!

Another comment you made, "I'm cautioning about a potential legal position that you might believe to be unfair.
If you do, it will cost you, a great deal more than what you think to be unfair now." I noted in my original comment that I want to have her request altered to a more reasonable amount simply so that I can avoid falling behind on my payments causing additional legal problems. It would seem that your statement was unnecessary. Again, if I assume to much, I apologize.

I have 3 wonderful children and do not plan on having more. The woman that I am with is not able to have children due to a tubal ligation. Additional children are not an option. I have a dog.. thats as close as I'll come to more kids.

When the time comes that I am working, or deployed for active duty, I will willingly pay more child support to help improve my childrens living situation. The fact that very little of what their mother receives actually goes on the children is always frustrating but that is nothing I can control. Once she receives it there is no controlling where it goes. I will consult with a lawyer. I just need some insight as to what my options may be so that I'll know which lawyer is really going to do me the most good.

Again, thank you for the comments and I look forward to more insight.

Oh.. and one more thing... the comment about the fact that I've moved on so I should let her move on... I have moved in. After 18 years with my ex its about time I moved on. I have been continuously cheated on and berated but stayed simply to be with my children. I was not perfect and never claim to be. Since we split up I have been with one person and one person only. She on the other hand has been in 5 live in relationships and who knows how many other relationships of the one night kind. I wish her no harm but I hardly think that I am not allowing her to move on. Actually I wish she would move on a little less and consider the people she is parading in front of my children a little more.

If this female creature is doing things that bring hurt, harm, or danger to YOUR children; tell it to the court.

You remain free to pursue sole physical custody of YOUR children.

That way, you would have no support problems.

As far as what you choose to ASS-u-ME, that is up to you.

What you care, think, believe, or feel; is of no moment, consequence, or import to me.

I'm securely ensconced in a very nice dwelling, that I fondly refer to as, "Palatial Estates".

Then there is our mountain cabin and our lake home.

This is the land of opportunity and second chances.

I wish you well in all that you endeavor to achieve.

Technically, she isn't doing anything to bring them harm. She is raising them in an environment I do not like with standards I disagree with. According to child protective services there are no grounds to remove the children other then the suggestion that she needs to have fewer people in her home for the space there is.

Considering my current employment situation I highly doubt the court would grant me custody. With the possibility of deployment looming they would end up back with her anyway. Also, as much as I don't like her I just can't make myself try to take them away from her. Simply because I know how horrible it would be for the kids. Other then a few months two summers ago and a few weeks here and there whenever I get the chance to have them with me and, of course, my weekends every month they have always been with her. As much as I want them I wont make them miserable to do it.

I am looking online to see if there is any legal aid available to me since I am in the Army National Guard. I was told by a friend in the guard that there might be.

The number of homes you own is really of no use to me, nor does it change the validity of your guidance. I am happy for you that you have done well in life. I am sure it took a lot of hard work and dedication. The guidance is completely appreciated and I thank you again for the information and the well wishes.

BTW, assuming things usually does bring out the donkey.. but hey, I'm army... I'm suppose to be stubborn, right?!

BTW, assuming things usually does bring out the donkey.. but hey, I'm army... I'm suppose to be stubborn, right?!

I spent 30 years on active duty.
I retired as a Colonel.
I was taught to be smart, not stubborn.
But, hey, what do I know?

My first five years were in the combat arms as a ranger.
I spent three of those three years consecutively in 'Nam.
I did that without the, now customary, R&R.
I've worn out more of those t-shirts and slogans that you could ever recite.
Good luck!

Army, I had you pegged. I'm just a lowly Air Force Brat but I was sure you retired as a full bird. Its something about the way I picture you sounding like Zeus when you write. Oh lighten up, it's a Joke.

Army, I had you pegged. I'm just a lowly Air Force Brat but I was sure you retired as a full bird. Its something about the way I picture you sounding like Zeus when you write. Oh lighten up, it's a Joke.

JH, your intuition was correct.

Those eagles on your shoulders command some amount of attention. :)

Zeus, I'm trying to sound more like God! :yes: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back