Help with Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintsChick

My daughter is 7 years old and me and her father split when she was 3 months old and I have had custody of her for 5 years. The custody agreement was never signed but her dad had every other weekend visitation and paid child support every month. Since hurricane katrina things have changed and i tried to move out of state with her and was told i could not so, while in court, i signed her over figuring i could move and try and fight it out of state. Leaving the court house i got scared and realized i made a mistake so the very next day i had a friend attorney file somekind of paperwork to try and undue what i had done. The court then said we had to go to mediation and we just finished it in April and the mediator basically said that she could not make a decision b/c we were both good parents and that she thought it would not be a good idea to remove her from her school because she was already established and been there for 2 years and it would be a good idea to have alternating weeks if i moved closer to him. But the thing was when we talked to the mediator we did not want to do that b/c i live 12 miles away from my ex but then came to realize that if this was my only way to get to see her then i would go out of my way to do this and i tried to get him to agree to this and he denied me and then his live in girlfriend made threats to me and we don't get along. and now i found out that he is about to send her to a different school, in the same area. Now i don't know what to do next. I am willing to do alternating weeks and i will be moving closer to them come april when i buy a house. Is there anything i can do?

Please help!!! I just need some sort of advise

Thanks,

Tiffany B.

He can't deny you if it is court ordered.

Did the mediator order alternating weekends? If yes, he cannot deny that order as you both agreed to be bound by the mediation. If not take him back to court or mediation.

Did the mediator order alternating weekends? If yes, he cannot deny that order as you both agreed to be bound by the mediation. If not take him back to court or mediation.

can i go back to the mediator?? she has already filed her paperwork to the judge. The only problem with the report is that it states WHEN i move closer then alternating weeks should be implemented

So nothing was stated for visitation NOW? Then, you will have to abide by the mediator's report. I guess you could try and go back to court and mediation again but do you have the time and money? And does the court allow you to go back...all questions for your attorney handling the case.

So nothing was stated for visitation NOW? Then, you will have to abide by the mediator's report. I guess you could try and go back to court and mediation again but do you have the time and money? And does the court allow you to go back...all questions for your attorney handling the case.

there really is no visitation set right now.....i barely get to see her or talk to her on the phone b/c they deny me too. ever since he has had her he is trying to make me extinct in her life. I don't really have the money to fight it and don't have an attorney....i was just hopeing there was something i could file on my own

Last edited:
Have you sought the services of Legal Aid in your city. They sometimes represent clients on a sliding scale fee based on your income. If there was a visitation scheduled in the divorce degree that is still in force until the mediation report schedule for when you move. You may be able to get a free consultation with an attorney and he can advise you on what to do. Google child visitation and custody laws for your state and see if there are any on-line support groups in your state that offer free services.

If you believe you are being alientaed you can use that in court. parent alienation is not overlooked. Document every attempt you make at contat and visitation and then go from there. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back