Help please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butterfly2691

Jurisdiction
New York
A very good friend of mine is going through a very rough period in her life since she got involved in a theft incident in a retail store 1 year ago. At the moment this happened she was very scared and did everything she was told including paying a civil demand if $225. Even though this was a traumatic event for her because she stills can't get over it and she even have had thoughts of kill herself she did not get arrested or get involved in court or anything till the date (that's being said from her acknowledge) but the doubt of not knowing if she is into this theft database called " THE NATIONAL THEFT DATABASE NMRA" is killing her deep inside. Since she paid off the civil fine, what are the chances off of her being into this database? how can I find out if her name is into this database? Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but your friend needs psychological therapy about her fears and suicidal thoughts.

A year later this is "killing" her? Give me a break. Either your hyping this up for sympathy or she's just plain nuts.

If nothing's happened till now, nothing is going to happen.

And, no, you can't find out if her name is one any database (there's more than one). The information is proprietary and only available to retailers.

If someone stole, got caught, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

It's a pretty good bet that the thief's name is in one or more databases.

There you go, snowflake, problem solved.

She doesn't have to worry about being in any databases unless she's planning on stealing again.

She should be more concerned about what led her to commit a crime - which she was not really punished for.

I agree with Jack about her mental state. You can help her best by getting her to seek psychiatric help. SOON.

Sorry, but your friend needs psychological therapy about her fears and suicidal thoughts.

A year later this is "killing" her? Give me a break. Either your hyping this up for sympathy or she's just plain nuts.

If nothing's happened till now, nothing is going to happen.

And, no, you can't find out if her name is one any database (there's more than one). The information is proprietary and only available to retailers.

She's considering going out for therapy but her fears of speaking up about this have stopped her many times (I'm the only one who knows). And not I'm not exaggerating about this it's the truth.

She doesn't have to worry about being in any databases unless she's planning on stealing again.

She should be more concerned about what led her to commit a crime - which she was not really punished for.

I agree with Jack about her mental state. You can help her best by getting her to seek psychiatric help. SOON.

In fact she did was punished for and more than she deserved. I don't wanna go into details over this since it's not something I experienced myself and none of you know what really happened that day to start judging. I just wanted to know about the possibility of knowing if she is into this database I mentioned before and if fo how can I find it out... that's all!!!

You were told that you CANNOT find out. Assume she IS in one or more databases and take it from there.

She was not punished - she paid a civil penalty, but was not charged criminally and did not spend one day in jail.

You were told that you CANNOT find out. Assume she IS in one or more databases and take it from there.

She was not punished - she paid a civil penalty, but was not charged criminally and did not spend one day in jail.

Okay so you're saying she was supposed to go jail and get charged? Excuseme but that wasn't my question and you don't need to start making assumptions about whether she wasn't punished or whatever.

I did not make an assumption YOU TOLD us she paid a civil demand which almost always means that no criminal charges were filed. And THAT means she did not go to jail.

In fact she did was punished for and more than she deserved. I don't wanna go into details over this since it's not something I experienced myself and none of you know what really happened that day to start judging. I just wanted to know about the possibility of knowing if she is into this database I mentioned before and if fo how can I find it out... that's all!!!

The information in the databases is supplied only to those who subscribe to the databases.

If a demand letter was sent to a confessed thief, the thief paid the demand, I'd be surprised if the name of the thief isn't in a database somewhere.

No reason to want to know this, because how does it benefit you?

If you're a confessed, self admitted thief, no retail store that subscribes to the databases would hire you.

The databases don't remove the names that are in the databases because an admitted thief demands names be removed.

I hope we've helped.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If the store subscribes to a database then yes your friends name is in there.I can research store to see if they use any database but I do not do this publicly you would have to email me to ask me to research this. Since i also work for retailers its not in my best interest to publicly state who uses what database if any.

It goes against the entire point of having such a database for someone to know if she's on it or not.

Knowing your in database doesn't change anything and its only an issue if you work retail and your employer or potential employer subscribes.

And I'm sure your retail clients will be very interested to know that you are letting shoplifters know who is and is not, and thus what stores are and are not, in such databases so that they now know where they can and cannot go back and steal again.

And I'm sure your retail clients will be very interested to know that you are letting shoplifters know who is and is not, and thus what stores are and are not, in such databases so that they now know where they can and cannot go back and steal again.
This is none of your interest if I wanna know if my friend is in or not. So please limit to help and not to create a conflict here, if you can't do that stay away from my post. Perhaps you have steal before and after you got caught you kept doing it. Well if you read the original post this is not her case.

Your "friend" has no entitlement under the law to know whether she is or not.

And you...I mean she...may or may not be anticipating stealing again, but that doesn't mean other people aren't, and shrinkmaster has no business giving them the means to do so in what I am quite sure is a violation of his client contracts.

Actually knowing what stores use databases is not a real deterrent. Its more a tool to use for employment purposes. Its normally told to the shoplifter when they are detained by Loss Prevention that they will likely be placed in a Retail Theft database. Why stores keep this close to the vest I dont understand and yes they are aware I sometimes tell clients who uses what database. I just do not do so on public forums or the like but privately.

I just calls them as I sees them, shrinkmaster. Good to know you're not violating your contracts, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back