Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahmr

I went to a store and I scanned two water bottles placing shoes in their place trying to pay cheap for them, I have never done this before and obviously was stupid on my end.
My record is clean other than traffic violation for having a suspended license. I need to know what I should plea because I am guilty and if I plea not guilty they will look at the tapes and see I'm guilty and I think that will cause me more trouble. I would like to keep this off my record seeing this was a first time incident and if I can plea diversion, I think its called that, anyhow what do I do please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not following you. Did you go to the self checkout and scan and pay for water but steal shoes?

I went to a store and I scanned two water bottles placing shoes in their place trying to pay cheap for them, I have never done this before and obviously was stupid on my end.
My record is clean other than traffic violation for having a suspended license. I need to know what I should plea because I am guilty and if I plea not guilty they will look at the tapes and see I'm guilty and I think that will cause me more trouble. I would like to keep this off my record seeing this was a first time incident and if I can plea diversion, I think its called that, anyhow what do I do please help!

Okay, you appear in court at the time on the date directed.
You plead NOT guilty, and ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you.
If you qualify, otherwise, hire your own lawyer.
This won't be removed from your record UNLESS you are acquitted.
If you plead guilty or make a deal, it'll haunt you for the rest of your life.

A lawyer can lessen the punishment you receive, but only a pardon will remove the stain of the arrest and a conviction or a plea.

In the meantime, behave yourself, and stop discussing this with anyone but your lawyer.

You can probably get a diversionary sentence, do community service, pay some fines, costs, and fees.
The court will allow you to make payment arrangements.
You'll probably get some sort of probationary term, and once you complete a class or two, it'll all be over.

You seem remorseful, so use this experience to keep yourself straight in the future.
Good luck.

Yes, unfortunately it was very foolish to go to the store and try to use the code for water to be charged for the shoes. Clever, but ultimately not worth the chance at dishonesty.

One potential opportunity might be deferred adjudication as opposed to a guilty verdict or plea. You'll want to read up on how this works and speak to the prosecutor as to whether it might be available to you. In short, if you've made a one time mistake like this one, it's possible for you to be able to avoid having the worst happen and a decision on your guilt or innocence is "deferred" or delayed. It's a probation of sorts. I also highly advise you speak to an attorney as soon as possible. There are issues which they have expert training and you do not. You'll want to use an attorney so you can obtain the most favorable outcome you can receive and learn your lesson. Good luck.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. First off you theft attempt (ye sit was theft) was not original its been done and/or tried countless times. Common mistake many shoplifters make is thinking their plan is original and will not be caught. That being said walk into court pled not guilty and either hire an Attorney or request Public defender. When you meet this Lawyer ask about ACD or Diversion as plea option. If your record is clean and your county has such a problem you should qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back