help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexisbabiix3

Hi! My name is Alexis and I have a question. I have been wanting to change my name for awhile now but my mom has not had the time to do it. (I'm 15). Well a woman I know said that she changed her sons' last name to her last name but it wasn't legal. She said that her last name was on his school records and registrations but it was under an "also known as" name, not a legal name. Well I was wondering since I won't be able to change my name any time soon, how would I be able to do that? (have it as an "also known as" name) Is there any way I can request it at my school or something?

I'd greatly appreciate your help! Thanks for your time.

sincerely,
alexis.

I do not know how that would work nowadays, but back in the 80's my mother gave me my step-fathers last name without question in kindergarten, even though my B.C. and SS Card displayed a different name. In fact, when I went back to use my birth name in H.S. I had to hyphenate it to make the transition easier.

Are you wanting your first or last name changed? If your first name you can just ask people around you to call you the name you choose, but for most documents it will require your current legal name and then sometimes there is a section for "preferred name". For school records there used to be a "preferred name" on the school file, but it will not display on transcripts. Last name may be more difficult.

Legal name changes are not very difficult and most District Court paperwork is simple, but the process costly. However, being you are a minor it will require that your parent/s complete the forms and petition the Court. Some states have also implemented CBI & FBI required fingerprint checks prior to being able to file your petition for a name change and the cost do start to add up.

I only know most of this, because I am in the same process for myself and child.

Check with your local District Court for requirements. I know in my state the District Court oversees all minor name changes and County for adults. If your parents have any child custody or support orders, some states require the petition to be filed with the same Court that holds jurisdiction over the previous mentioned case/s.

Good luck and I would have provided a link for more info, but I could not locate your state on your posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back