HELP! Emancipation age in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

catalyst

Hi, first time poster. I need some help in a desperate type of way. I have a 15 year old step-daughter who is totaly out of control. She has been on probation for theft, wants to drop out of school, drinks, smokes, swears at us, and pretty much just makes our lives and our other children's lives miserable. She has been grounded more times than Value Jet. Here is the question: She has threatened on several occasions to leave home to live with her 'freinds', but we have stood our ground because we do not know what the legal age of emancipation is for NYS. It may be 16 or up to 18, right? What steps do we go through? Are we still legally responsible for her actions if she just up and leaves? Please help, we are at our wits end. Thanks:(

I'm pretty sure that the emancipation age in NYS is 16 not 18. You could go that route, or send her to military school. There are a few around. I know that a friend of my brothers goes to one by Conneticut, near Millerton somewhere.

I was wondering this too, but I am the 16 year old. I live in montana, and want to know if I have the right to leave.

I'm in hell

Just found out that it is 21 in NY. NY does not recognize emancipation..we are responsible for whatever she does until she turns 21. If she moves out and gets on public assistance, the they will come after us for compensation. She pretty much gets to do whatever she wants now:( . ...we are responsible for everything she does and can be sued or whatever for it.:mad:

i'm 16 i'll be 17 in less the a month. which will make me legale for an emancipation. the things is i don't know how to go about it. because i was adopted and i'm seeing my real mother we want to know how to go about it. :rolleyes: my adopted parents have said flat out that they don't want me and they don't want to responseablity for me and they want me to go back to my real parents and the thing is my real father wasn't involed at all with the adoption. A few years ago we found out that the adoption isn't even leagal. So, how do i go about this?

To the original poster, time to send this brat to boot camp. You should look into it. You just cannot emancipate because you are fed up. To emancipate they would have to be capable of financially supporting herself which she is very unlikely to do. Dad is responsible for anything she does. Where is the bio mom?

Giving up, huh?

Hi, first time poster. I need some help in a desperate type of way. I have a 15 year old step-daughter who is totaly out of control. She has been on probation for theft, wants to drop out of school, drinks, smokes, swears at us, and pretty much just makes our lives and our other children's lives miserable. She has been grounded more times than Value Jet. Here is the question: She has threatened on several occasions to leave home to live with her 'freinds', but we have stood our ground because we do not know what the legal age of emancipation is for NYS. It may be 16 or up to 18, right? What steps do we go through? Are we still legally responsible for her actions if she just up and leaves? Please help, we are at our wits end. Thanks:(

It's 3 years after you posted this, were you finally able to give up on your daughter and emancipate her?

She was obviously doing all this because she didn't like HERSELF. It wasn't you that she hated, it was herself. All emotions come out as anger, and she has a lot of it.

I'm just curious what became of your daughter now that she is 18?

I would NEVER give up on my child and try to emancipate him because he was making bad choices. There's a reason why he is making these choices and it's my responsiblity as a parent to find out why and go the extra mile to show my son how much he is worth.

I feel sorry for your daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back