HELP! Dad needs advice about money grubbing ex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymberlee

HELP! My ex wife just obtained a wage garnishment for 800.00/month. Thisis an old child support orderthat was based on the fact that I was making 19.00/hr at the time and all 3 of my children were living with her. Now however, Im only making 11.00/hr and there is only one child left at home. (She has continued to defraud the system on top of all of this by getting food stamps and cash aid for all three children even when two of them lived with me for 6 months.) Im in a different state than her and dont even know where to start. How do I know what forms to fill out for a modification and can I stop the garnishment in the mean time? It seems to me that it should be based on my new hourly wage and that only she is only supporting one child now. :eek:

You say she "just" obtained the wage garnishment. How recently was this? Was there a hearing? If so, did you go to it and offer your defense?

Or, is this an old order that she just now took back to court to get the garnishment? If this is the case, why didn't you already file for a modification based on the fact that 2 children are no longer in her home and your wages have decreased?

I'm not trying to bash you for your choices, just trying to get a bit more background in order to see exactly where you stand.

As for the forms for a modification, each state is different. Some states have forms online, and others don't. It depends on what your state is, what their laws are concerning modification, whether they have forms on the 'net, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back