Harrassment by Neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KUjayhawk

I'm really hoping someone can help me.

I am dealing with the following scenario:

My boyfriend and I live together in a nice quiet neighborhood. Seven months ago it came to light that he had sexual relations with our neighbor three houses down. She is a single divorcee with two daughters who do not live with her. After my boyfriend made his mistake and attempted to end things, the neighbor proceeded to black mail him into continuing the relationship with the threat that she would tell me. (I've seen the emails to verify this information). After two months he decided to end things regardless of the consequences and she showed up on our doorstep and refused to leave. Needless to say, my boyfriend had to come clean and that day we had to threaten to call the police before she would leave. My boyfriend and I worked things out and less than a week after the neighbor was back to "propositioning" him. All of her emails, phone calls, and texts were being ignored. Within two weeks of cutting off all communication we witnessed the neighbor come into our yard and begin to kick things over (flower pots etc). We called the police. We had to explain the whole situation to the police (they were less than sympathetic) and they stated that we needed to tell the neighbor she was not to contact either of us in anyway shape or form or come on our property ever again. Until we did that, they said there was nothing they could do. The next day my boyfriend sent her an email making it explicitly clear all relations were over and that we did not want to hear from her in anyway ever again. She responded and said that the street in front of our house was public property and we would have to see her every single day but that otherwise she would comply.

Since that day the neighbor does walk her dog by our house regularly. She waves and honks when she see us outside. We've witnessed on numerous occasions the neighbor standing outside of our house late at night (11pm-1am) flipping us off while "pretending" to walk her dog. A month ago she contacted me via LinkedIn with a disgusting message about what it was like to sleep with my boyfriend. I responded and simply said do not contact me again or I will contact the police. She responded AGAIN and apologized saying she had drank wine and cough medicine and didn't even remember sending it. Just yesterday she sent me another request to be "linked" on LinkedIn. She still continues the behavior of harassing us from the street while "walking" her dog. I don't know what to do. I can't find an attorney who deals with this type of situation and while everything she has done is relatively minor I'm tired of being harassed and afraid to leave the house for fear of running into her. My boyfriend and I are at a loss. We read on a few information sites that a cease and desist letter is sometimes helpful in terms of scaring them into leaving you alone but we can't even find an attorney who can help or advise us.

Any advice is welcome.

Sometimes the best thing to do is ignore the person (do not respond in any way) & they eventually get tired/bored & stop.

You can hold for other possible replies.

Only two safe choices in your situation: IGNORE THEM, or MOVE.

The law takes little note of such behavior, unless laws are broken.

If you are afraid for your life, your property is being damaged, or human beings are in jeopardy: call "911" and ask for police, medical, or fire assistance.

Waiting....

I've been waiting for seven months and I have completely ignored every one of her "taunts". If I had children and there was a man standing in front of my house in the middle of the night flipping us off I have to think that would be perceived as some sort of threat. Additionally, aren't their laws around harassing someone via the internet? Just very frustrated and have been the bigger person for quite some time now.

The person you need to be angry at is your boyfriend.

If it weren't for his actions, you can virtually guarantee that she wouldn't be pulling the childish stuff.

(Incidentally, if she stands across the street and waves her middle finger, the police are just not going to get involved; "Obnoxious" does not equate to "threatening")

This post isn't about my personal feelings. I'm simply tying to understand if I have any legal rights in this situation to stop her actions. Proserpina two wrongs don't make a right. I didn't ask for relationship advice.

Consider it an added bonus.

As I said, standing across the street from you waving her middle finger is not going to be something the police are concerned about. It's akin to your neighbor's kid sticking out his tongue to your child. Childish? Absolutely. Annoying? Heck yes. Illegal? Absolutely not.

Given the proximity of her dwelling, I can't see a restraining order being issued - she's got the right to come and go to her own house. She's even made clear to you that she has every right to be on the other side of the street, but she will stop attempting to bug you on your own property.

A C&D is not legally binding and in this case, I can't help but think that it would only make her even more obnoxious.

Actually I did have an afterthought.

I'm wondering that if you and your boyfriend - or just you - invited her in for a cup of coffee, would that take the wind out of her sails completely?

She's not expecting kindness. She's definitely not expecting you to attempt to be friendly. You don't have to play her game on her turf - sometimes being overbearingly polite can do the trick much better than a C&D.

You could also keep your curtains/blinds closed late at night (or even during the day) when she is walking the dog - pay no attention/ignore her. If no one is paying any attention to her, it won't be "fun" any more & she might very well stop. There's not much you can do except what was already suggested - ignore her, move or possibly ask her in for coffee & see what happens.

Yeap! Bullies just have no clue how to deal with someone being kind to them.

If it makes her ignore you completely? win/win

If it actually starts a decent neighborly relationship? win/win

Y'know? :)

What if she doesn't like coffee? I don't! :)

We do keep the blinds closed as often as possible and close them if we see her.

I understand what you all are saying about coffee but according to the police the minute that we communicate with her, any communication is allowed aka she can email, call, text with no fear of repercussion. This woman tends to drink heavily and I'm sure killing her with kindness would work until she's drunk and alone then the nasty grams start or other potential crazy behavior. She was very bitter when my boyfriend ended it and I don't think me reaching out would change those feelings.

We do keep the blinds closed as often as possible and close them if we see her.

I understand what you all are saying about coffee but according to the police the minute that we communicate with her, any communication is allowed aka she can email, call, text with no fear of repercussion. This woman tends to drink heavily and I'm sure killing her with kindness would work until she's drunk and alone then the nasty grams start or other potential crazy behavior. She was very bitter when my boyfriend ended it and I don't think me reaching out would change those feelings.

Okay, I'm closing this thread, as you've been properly advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back