harrassment by co-worker and unethical behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

I work for a County Agency in the Child Support division. I am an office worker and so is she (neither are caseworkers). She is also close friends w/her supervisor, who there have been numerous complaints about. I have been here for 2 years, she for 4. The problem is this: I have a confidential child support case here which are kept in her supervisor's office.
My husband one of the parents in this case. She is best friends w/the other parent in the case (which is my husband's ex-wife). She is constantly making personal calls to her on the company phone and sits there and talks about me, my husband and one of the 2 children, who lives w/us. She tells her what she should do, cuts us all down trashing us over and over, saying things like 'you should file this against him' and 'all they care about is the money' and things that are not true. This co-worker of mine lost her kids to her ex-husband, which makes her very bitter and will say anything. She has constantly been in trouble here for running her mouth about me and other co-workers and all they will do is 'have a talk w/her.' Well, i reported this info to the top supervisor (again) and told him because our case is a confidential case, she should not be talking about anyone involved in that case to the other parent involved, especially since they are best friends. She does have access to records and has no problem w/saying she will tell her more later about it 'later'. Management said legally there is nothing they can do but talk to her again, even though she has harrassed me many times, running her mouth about other people to me and saying things to me, etc. over and over. I feel it is harrassment. Management said 'well, employees are allowed personal calls.' He also said as long as she did not give out 'specific' info from the case file or from the computer (how much he makes, etc.), she is allowed, though it's a fine line. Are they right?

Your co-worker is not violating any laws therefore the employer isn't obligated to do anything about her behavior. What you describe does not constitute prohibited harassment.

I think your employer ought to do something about her for numerous reasons (too many personal phone calls on work time, maligning a co-worker, discussing a co-worker's personal matters, etc.), but they don't have to do something about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back