harrassed by former employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

realtor28

My wife was caught taking stuff from work. He was fired and agreed to repay $10,000, and signed a confession. Now, she was just fired from a new job because the former employer faxed the confession over to the new employer. She was fired because she never put down that she worked for this employer, and they said that lying on an application is grounds for termination. This former employer has vowed to do this to every employer that hires my wife. Is this harassment? What can I do to stop this.

G

Lying on an application form is without question grounds to fire someone. I strongly suggest you tell your wife not to do so again. Now she has two problems to overcome in trying to find a job: (1) being terminated for stealing $10,000 worth of merchandise (yikes!) and (2) being fired from her next job for lying about it. Regardless of anything her ex-employer does, she's going to have a heck of a time finding a job. Your wife's recent track record for honesty is underwhelming.

If the ex-employer chases her from job to job and contacts her new employers to volunteer this information, your wife might have a cause of action for tortious interference (and that's a big might.) If the former employer is contacted by other employers for references, they are perfectly free to share the reason she was terminated however.

In fact, if she is hired by a new employer and steals something there, the original employer could be held liable because he DIDN'T tell the new employer that she has a problem with honesty.

Let's face it, stealing has consequences. So does lying on your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back