harassment @ work

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesparza442

Hello I'm a women that works at a hotel I have an employee that insults me and harrasse me always putting me down. I want to make a complaint but am in fear of losing my job what can I do to secure my job and make my complaint.

You can report the harassment, but wouldn't be easier to ignore the idiot?

That way you keep your job, and you rise above the insults.

(There are always going to be idiots amongst your coworkers - it happens everywhere)

Harassment at work is not illegal (no law against it) as long as you aren't harassed due to a reason prohibited by law such as due to your religion, gender, race, age (generally 40 & over) etc. Do you have any idea why you are being harassed?

You can tell the person to leave you alone & have as little contact with them as possible. You can talk to your boss but sometimes they don't like people complaining.

That's what I'm afraid of, Betty. If the OP is perceived to be whiny and/or a trouble-maker, that's going to jeopardize her employment.

Yep, that's always a concern when you take certain complaints "up the line" - they generally prefer not to hear them.

Ignoring a person (or people) is so much easier than fighting that person (or those people)!

OP, please give an example of the kinds of insults/put downs you are experiencing. With the information we have, it is impossible to tell if you have legal recourse/protections or not.

& also why do you believe you are being harassed by this woman as I asked previously - what reason.

It can also make a difference depending upon this person's relationship to you. Is this person a supervisor, co-worker or subordinate? Have you spoken to this employee about her behavior and asked her to stop? Even if you do report it, typically the first quetsion anyone will ask is what you have done to resolve the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back