Harassment or slander?

Bnb0627

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I'll try to keep this short so my new neighbors (two young women) have threatened to kill my cat if it goes near their house. Ok, not that big a deal, the cat sneaks out of the house sometimes when the kids open the door, she doesn't pee anywhere but regardless we are taking measures to prevent her from getting out of the house. More importantly, when I confronted them nicely about rumors I had heard about them trying to hit the cat with a stick while it was in front of my house I was met with two women screaming in my face threatening to fight me and then calling my husband a lazy dope addict. (I have no idea how it went from the cat to my husband) Saying go get a job you dope addict I saw you stumble walking from your car the other day. Now my husband, who is 34, has suffered multiple back injuries, a failed surgery and his right leg occasionally gives out due to sciatica. He takes multiple prescriptions for this, so I guess that's why they are calling him a dope addict. We were mortified, my husband has been severely depressed due to not being able to work and to have people say this in front of all the neighbors without them even knowing us or his situation was horrible. The next day my husband let the dogs outback and one of the ladies starting running up and down the fence taunting the dog by yelling at it and barking at it. My husband went out side and asked them to leave the dog alone and they started attacking him saying oh he's probably high and you better stop staring at me motherfucker.

I'll try to keep this short so my new neighbors (two young women) have threatened to kill my cat if it goes near their house. Ok, not that big a deal, the cat sneaks out of the house sometimes when the kids open the door, she doesn't pee anywhere but regardless we are taking measures to prevent her from getting out of the house. More importantly, when I confronted them nicely about rumors I had heard about them trying to hit the cat with a stick while it was in front of my house I was met with two women screaming in my face threatening to fight me and then calling my husband a lazy dope addict. (I have no idea how it went from the cat to my husband) Saying go get a job you dope addict I saw you stumble walking from your car the other day. Now my husband, who is 34, has suffered multiple back injuries, a failed surgery and his right leg occasionally gives out due to sciatica. He takes multiple prescriptions for this, so I guess that's why they are calling him a dope addict. We were mortified, my husband has been severely depressed due to not being able to work and to have people say this in front of all the neighbors without them even knowing us or his situation was horrible. The next day my husband let the dogs outback and one of the ladies starting running up and down the fence taunting the dog by yelling at it and barking at it. My husband went out side and asked them to leave the dog alone and they started attacking him saying oh he's probably high and you better stop staring at me motherfucker.

This is nothing the law would have any interest in, or remedy for you.

This is the typical neighbor nonsense.

How should you proceed?

You should proceed the way I, or any other adult proceeds.

You ignore these people, don't respond to their taunts, or defend their allegations.

You don't owe them or anyone an explanation.

You live your life as you wish, and if you break any laws, the police will intervene; just as the police do when any laws are broken.

The police aren't bothering you, so you need not fear the loud mouth bullies who happen to live near you.

Silence is always your best defense when maniacs start to howl.

This is nothing the law would have any interest in, or remedy for you.

This is the typical neighbor nonsense.

How should you proceed?

You should proceed the way I, or any other adult proceeds.

You ignore these people, don't respond to their taunts, or defend their allegations.

You don't owe them or anyone an explanation.

You live your life as you wish, and if you break any laws, the police will intervene; just as the police do when any laws are broken.

The police aren't bothering you, so you need not fear the loud mouth bullies who happen to live near you.

Silence is always your best defense when maniacs start to howl.

Thank you for your advice, we will definitely do our best to ignore it. We will be installing video cameras as well as my daughters just went into our back yard and found large chunks of broken glass on the ground and on the kids trampoline ugh I can't wait to finish school and move!!!

Thank you for your advice, we will definitely do our best to ignore it. We will be installing video cameras as well as my daughters just went into our back yard and found large chunks of broken glass on the ground and on the kids trampoline ugh I can't wait to finish school and move!!!

You can ignore anyone. It is easy, just fight the temptation to defend yourself. Do you think anything you say, even if you showed proof, would make those clowns believe any better about you?

Trust me, they think you are Satan's spawn, no matter what you do or say.

Just give them a wide birth, don't engage them, and keep a watchful eye on your children.

Cameras are a good idea, but some of those hyenas wll simply destroy your cameras, so conceal them well.

If the scoundrels misbehave, just walk away and call "911".

The police have the power and authority to take keep the peace and arrest lawbreakers.

You might let the landlord know about it. I wouldn't bother with police unless they actually hurt the animals or damage property. Your best solution is to move. The landlord may not appreciate that his other tenants are running people off.

the cat sneaks out of the house sometimes when the kids open the door,

Then train your kids to be more careful of the cat when they open the door and punish them for letting the cat out.

she doesn't pee anywhere

Your delusional if you believe that. All cats pee wherever they want to.

OK, so your neighbors are lunatics. Avoid them. You never win with lunatics.

All the more reason to train your kids not to let the cat out.

Then train your kids to be more careful of the cat when they open the door and punish them for letting the cat out.

Your delusional if you believe that. All cats pee wherever they want to.

OK, so your neighbors are lunatics. Avoid them. You never win with lunatics.

All the more reason to train your kids not to let the cat out.[/QUOTE

Hmm, and you're a moderator? You're entitled to your opinion, have a great day.

Neither harassment or defamation. As stated ignore them.

Cats pee wherever they want especially outside. You can train the to pee in a litter box yes. But you don't know what your cat does when it goes outside. Cats do whatever they want when they want.

I'm sure your neighbors know you better than these new people so why worry what some weird new people think? Ignore, ignore, ignore. If you get evidence that they damage your property or any of you that you can call the police on.

Thanks guys but I'm not looking for advice about the cat, As I said we are already working on that. And yes most cats do pee everywhere, I am not delusional, and my cat is not most cats. My cat has stage 2 bladder cancer and must be catheterized multiple times a day to expel her urine. So it is physically impossible for her to urinate on her own.

Thanks guys but I'm not looking for advice about the cat, As I said we are already working on that. And yes most cats do pee everywhere, I am not delusional, and my cat is not most cats. My cat has stage 2 bladder cancer and must be catheterized multiple times a day to expel her urine. So it is physically impossible for her to urinate on her own.

Well, I'll recap for everyone.

Whatever the cat does is of no matter in this.

The best thing you can do is IGNORE anyone that tries to instigate conflict.

If violence or crimes are involved, don't take action yourself.

Call "911" and report the matter to the police.

Remember, its always best to walk away when confronted by angry, violent, uncivil creatures.

Thank you I fully agree. I think I have gotten all the information I need here. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to answer.

Back