Guy invited by roommate behaves inappropriately and won't leave me alone

miamirobyn

Jurisdiction
Florida
To summarise: A man nearly three times my age came into my bedroom at one in the morning without welcome and masturbated while staring directly at me, after repeatedly being told to leave me alone after unwelcome advances. What do I have the grounds to do legally? Details below. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, the only sexual harassment forum I found was under workplace law.

I live with a few roommates, one of whom keeps inviting people over. Recently, one of them has been a man around sixty years old that she claims is her cousin. I'm a twenty-year-old girl and the 'cousin' always tries to engage me whenever he's at our house. He talks to me and tries to make me talk to him, even if I turn away from him or am wearing headphones. A lot of times he says things like "look at that ass" or "hey baby, how are you today?" and then tells me it's a compliment that I should be happier to receive when I ask him not to speak to me. Sometimes he'll stand in the doorway or in my path and refuse to move when I ask him to. Once or twice he's asked me to have sex with him and won't take my 'no' as an answer. He grabbed my arm once to stop me walking away from him but let go really quickly.

He was invited to the house the day before yesterday late, after my other two roommates were asleep. I asked her to keep him in her room, which is at the front of the house, rather than letting him wander wherever he wanted, and closed my bedroom door (it doesn't have a lock on it). At one in the morning, my door opened and he came into my room. He walked in and stood about two feet in front me, close enough that he could lean over and touch me. For a second neither of us did anything and I just stared at him wondering what he thought he was doing. Then he put his hand in his pants and started jerking off right in front of me. I screamed at him to get out but he just stood there for a minute before wandering out of the room.

Both my other roommates and I were completely furious at what had happened. One of them was woken up by the screaming and saw him come out of my room but hadn't seen what had happened inside my room. We told him that he was not allowed to even come on the property again. Yesterday I came home from work to find him sitting in the living room. The roommate had invited him back over despite being told what had happened, insisted that I was crazy and delusional for lying about him, and said we should take his word for it that he would never do that.

What do I have the grounds to do legally?

If you failed to call "911" during the sordid episode, not much you can do today about what happened then.

Going forward, a wise person would IMMEDIATELY find new accommodations before someone is sexually assaulted, or worse!!!!!

Last edited:
To summarise: A man nearly three times my age came into my bedroom at one in the morning without welcome and masturbated while staring directly at me, after repeatedly being told to leave me alone after unwelcome advances. What do I have the grounds to do legally?

Report the matter to the police, although it's not clear that any crime was committed, and I suspect that, for that reason, the police won't do anything.

Putting a lock on your bedroom door and/or moving would also be the smart thing to do.

Back