Guardianship of my neice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeem

My sister's 4 children were recently made wards of the state because of a history of domestic violence, although she still has physical custody. Now the State is trying her for neglect because of repeated exposure to domestic violence. My sister is doing everything that is asked of her in order to retain custody of her kids. She is having major issues with the oldest child, my neice that is 16 years old, and has asked if I could take her just until she can get her act together because she is afraid that this child is going to cause all the children to be taken from the home. My neice is being non-compliant with following the court order, ie. skipping school, talking with her father. My sister talked with the children's social worker and ask if this is possible. The social worker said that because she is a ward of the state she cannot leave the state, I do not live in the same state. I have done a little research on Michigan law and it basically says that anyone can petition the court for guardianship. Can you offer any sort of advice? Do you know if it is possible to petition the court from afar? Of course, I know I would have to be present for the hearing.

What state are you in?

For the children to be 'wards' of the state, your sister and the bio father's rights would have had to be terminated by the courts. Wards of the gives the state guargianship of the children. If termination of their rights has not happened, they are not wards of the state. If the children were wards, they would not be living with your sister, they would be in foster care.

You either don't have all the correct info, or have not been told the correct info. I need more clearification to answer you.

Last edited:
Now I have a little clarification. It seems that DHS has petitioned the court for the children to be made wards of the court. Her next trial is in 6 weeks and they are proceeding with a charge of neglect.

Again what state are you in? What are the specific neglect charges, and this hearing must be a termination of rights. Find out the exact name of the hearing, it has to be on the court documents somewhere.

Right now I live in Ecuador, my husband is in the Army. In June we are moving to Arizona.

I need a little time to get the specific neglect charges. Yes, this is a hearing for termination of rights. I will also get that info as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back