Guardianship of minor's estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillydiva01

Can I as a parent in Philadelphia file for Court Appointed Guardianship of my minor daughter's estate. I am being told that I have to appoint someone else, she is 16 yrs old and was left an insurance policy by a recently deceased Aunt. How do I handle this situation?

The advice you're being given may be correct. I have seen some states require that a guardian be appointed to handle financial matters where money or assets are left to a minor child. In most instances a parent is the natural guardian. This appears to be the statute in Pennsylvania that governs what you require:

Rule 12.5. Appointment of a guardian for the estate or person of a minor.

(a) A petition for the appointment of a guardian for the estate or person of a minor shall be filed by the minor, if over fourteen years of age and, if under such age, by his parent or parents, the person with whom he resides or by whom he is maintained or by any person as next friend of the minor.

(b) The petition shall set forth

(1) the name, address and age of the minor, and the names and addresses of his parents, if living;

(2) the name, address and relationship to the minor of the petitioner, if the petition is not filed by the minor;

(3) that the minor's parents consent to the petition, if it is not filed by them, or the reason why they do not consent;

(4) the necessity of the appointment of a guardian and that the minor has no guardian or that a guardian already appointed has died or has been discharged or removed by the court, together with the date of such death, discharge or removal and a reference to the court record of such discharge or removal;

(5) the name, address and age of the proposed guardian and his relationship to the minor, if any;

(6) the nature of any interest of the proposed guardian adverse to that of the minor including inter alia a reference to any estate in which the minor is interested and in which the proposed guardian is a fiduciary or surety or employe of a fiduciary or surety therein.

(7) if the petition is for the appointment of a guardian of the person, the religious persuasion of the parents of the minor and of the proposed guardian;

(8) if the petition is for the appointment of a guardian of the estate, an itemization of the assets of such estate, their location, approximate value and income, if any;

(9) if the minor is entitled to receive any money as a party to any action or proceeding in any court, a reference to the court record and the amount to which the minor is entitled; and

(10) that notice has been given to the United States Veterans' Administration or its successor, if the minor is the child of a veteran and insurance or other gratuity is payable to him by the United States Veterans' Administration, or its successor.

(c) The proposed guardian's written consent to the appointment shall be attached to the petition.

(d) If the appointment of the same person is requested as guardian of the estates or persons of several minors who are children of the same parents, a single petition shall be filed for such appointment.

(e) If the minor is over the age of fourteen his appearance in court at the time of the presentation of the petition shall be governed by local rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back