Grandparents rights to grandchildren in DCFS care

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesabisoqy

Ok I am looking fo advice for my friend. She has custody of her twin grandsons for the last 11 1/2 months (Since boys were born). Dcfs had removed the babies from the hospital to neglect of the mother's previous children and had given to the grandmother and grandfather. Well within the past two weeks DCFS camein and removed the twins from the home saying that the grandfather had a slight hint of drug use in a pee sample. The person who took the urine sample took a medical leave right after the twins got removed from the home. Now he has a new counselor has been assigned to the possible drug case and they said that there was not enough of a trace to consider it anything. She told the grandparents that he could have gotten it from walking in a place or home as he is a maintenane worker for a mobile home park. The grandparents have said that they would do anything to get the twins back as they were getting ready to adopt the boys within the next couple months as the parents were ready to sign direct rights over to the grandparents. Now DCFS is telling the grandparents that the only way they can get the twins back is if the grandfaterh moves out of the house. If he does this, it means that he will have to move away from his wife and young daughter he loves very much. But last week the dcfs caseworker told them that if they both took a urine test and it came back negative they would get twins back and then grand father would have to complete any reccommended treatment that was ordered. What can they do about getting the twins back as they are the only ones the boys have been around except the last couple weeks. The foster home they are in right now does not know anything about their health problems or anything. My husband and I even tried to step and take the boys till everything got straighhtened out as I have been approved by DCFS to keep the twins at my house and plus I babysit them everyday. So they also know me very well. But DCFS won't let us have them because we are close friends with grandparents.

Is there any reason why the grandparents might test positive again?

WHAT did grandpa test positive for?

There's a reason why I'm asking.

He tested positive for a slight hint of maurijuana in his urine and the second drug counselor that was assigned this week said it wasn't enough there that they consider that low of a register to be like a contact high or second hand. And the grandmother went in and had a observed urine test done last week and also said they could take blood or hair tests and she passed hers. The grandfather went in this week and took another one and passed with flying colors. The thing is that the dcfs caseworker has been keeping close contact with a unrelated foster family that has been wanting to adopt the twins from birth. But parents didnt want to give up as the foster family wanted a closed adoption and the parents wanted open adoption. Also the grandparents gradnparents young daughter is an adopted child too. We have a feelign that since it getting close to termination of parental rights by the courts and the grandparents were getting ready to adopt the boys that is why the caseworker took them. The boys are now placed in the foster home that wanted to adopt at the time they were born. And no there is no reason for the grandparents to test postive also the grandfather even said that he would do anything to get the boys back home. DCFS was telling them that as long as they tested negative this week the twins would be home this week. Then the caseworker called tonight and told them that only way twins can come home is if grandfather moves out of house permanently.

Please have one of the grandparents in question sign up...because truly, there are details missing here.

(The question of why grandpa had to submit to urinalysis in the first place....that sort of thing)

He had to submit because he had a drinking offense when he was a minor and he admitted to the first counselor about it. So she recommended alcohol treatment prior to the adoption approval because she felt he was an alcoholic. And when the grandparents went in to plead their case with the counselor about the treatment to get it changed she made the stipulations that she would change the recommendations to no counseling needed if he ccould pass a urine test. Well he took a urine test and did not know it would come back with a trace of anything in it except his medicines he is prescribed.

He had to submit because he had a drinking offense when he was a minor and he admitted to the first counselor about it. So she recommended alcohol treatment prior to the adoption approval because she felt he was an alcoholic. And when the grandparents went in to plead their case with the counselor about the treatment to get it changed she made the stipulations that she would change the recommendations to no counseling needed if he ccould pass a urine test. Well he took a urine test and did not know it would come back with a trace of anything in it except his medicines he is prescribed.

How old are the grandparents?

There is SO much not making sense here.

1 thing is why a drug test for alcohol?

I talked to the grandma this morning and she said it was just a urine test and does not know why it turned into a drug test. I know the parents of the twins had to submit to 2-3 urine tests a week to test for drugs or alcohol in their system even though there was indication of the drug use or alcohol use for the neglect of the mother's previous children. The previous children got taken away becausse the mother had inadequate housing and food for the children. And the father (grandmother's son) is not mentally capable of taking care of the children and the fact he was involved with the mother at the time of the birth is why he could not keep children on his own or else with help from family. This family has been through alot in the last 11 1/2 months. The grandmother is wondering if she even has a chance to get the twins back after all this because DCFS told her and grandfather as long as they passed the tests this week and the grandfather got treatment even though he doesn't do drugs then the boys would be home by the end of this week. And now the caseworker called last night and said that she got the results back but not the official report and they both were negative that boys could not come home unless grandfather moved completely out of the house. And also if the twins were in such a danger with the grandfather then why did the 4 yr old adopted daughter get to stay in the house? I told the grandmother that it sounds like the caseworker wants this other family to adopt them as caseworker is friends with them and has been keeping them updated about the twins the whole 11 1/2 months even though they are nonrelatives and did not know the twins or any family members till all this happened and now the boys have been placed in their home and when grandmother tried to send clothes and toys and everything with boys for the foster home the caseworker told her they did not need any of the boys items as the foster home had everything theey needed for the twins. The grandmother was surprised because they didn't take any diapers or anything for the boys not even a diaper bag or bottles.

The grandparents are 38 and 39 yearsold. They are not that old and it is not like they are done raising their children as they adopted their little girl from a relative who was in the same situation 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back