Government Licensure Requirement - Monopoly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu_Barbie

I have recently decided to obtain an Insurance Agent license in the State of Florida and read the requirements (http://www.fldfs.com/Agents/Qualifications/4-10.htm). Although I have 15 years of experience in the legal profession, I would still have to complete a 40-hour "insurance classroom course". As you will note from the link I posted above, the course must be "approved by the Department" [of Financial Services], and the "approved" educators consists of only four (4) entities: Koogler Group, Central Florida Community College, Seminole Community College and Miami-Dade Community College, none of which are even remotely convenient for me as to location or dates, and there's numerous other entities who offer this course for a much lesser cost, and even on-line.

I feel that this is an effort on the part of the State of Florida to monopolize pre-licensure eligibility to Title Agents by excluding other legitimate educators and limiting education to only four (4) entities under government mandate. I find it highly riduculous that I can only attend this particular course with just 4 different educators within the entire State of Florida.

I am about to write a letter to the Dept. of Finance CFO as to my concerns, but would like to get anyone's input on this matter first. Do any of you feel that this is a monopoly attempt by the State, or any other legal issue that I might address with the CFO?

Malibu Barbie said:
I have recently decided to obtain an Insurance Agent license in the State of Florida and read the requirements (http://www.fldfs.com/Agents/Qualifications/4-10.htm). Although I have 15 years of experience in the legal profession, I would still have to complete a 40-hour "insurance classroom course". As you will note from the link I posted above, the course must be "approved by the Department" [of Financial Services], and the "approved" educators consists of only four (4) entities: Koogler Group, Central Florida Community College, Seminole Community College and Miami-Dade Community College, none of which are even remotely convenient for me as to location or dates, and there's numerous other entities who offer this course for a much lesser cost, and even on-line.

I feel that this is an effort on the part of the State of Florida to monopolize pre-licensure eligibility to Title Agents by excluding other legitimate educators and limiting education to only four (4) entities under government mandate. I find it highly riduculous that I can only attend this particular course with just 4 different educators within the entire State of Florida.

I am about to write a letter to the Dept. of Finance CFO as to my concerns, but would like to get anyone's input on this matter first. Do any of you feel that this is a monopoly attempt by the State, or any other legal issue that I might address with the CFO?
Interesting. I was thinking about this. You might be right although you have to think about the motivation for doing so. Is there a reason why these four might be on the list? Have you ever thought of contacting reputable local academic institutions to see why none of them had such a program? Is a lack or limited demand a possibility?

I think that while there is an appearance of something unusual going on, you need to make sure that you can make the connection of cause and effect. Being an attorney, you can appreciate that without a "res ipsa loquitir" type case where the cause of a result could only be from one explanation, you need to tighten up the causation factor. Put someone on the hotseat or subject to scrutiny. Acquire evidence that would support that there ARE institutions or entities interested in offering licensing in this area and/or that they have been rebuffed, etc.

Good luck. I'd really be interested in hearing how you fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back