Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Got Caught shoplifting at kohls

Idontknow123

Jurisdiction
California
I did the most stupid first thing of my life not know what or why I did, should of learned from what happend to my boyfriend.
So my boyfriend and I were Christmas shopping at kohls and I idiotically decided To take an eyeliner worth $23. So I went in the fitting room to see what my boyfriend was showing me to try on, well because of me going in the fitting room where I did take something and left the box caught the attention of the LP, once we left the LP went outside and asked us about it and I returned the item, they took us to the little room and asked us to sign a trespassing sheet where we can not go to kohls for 1 year but they mentioned about paying a small fee but that was it. Now what I'm really afraid of is that my boyfriend just recently got on PROBATION for stealing and has been doing great and I'm afraid that this can get him back to jail although he had no idea I did it until we were outside! The LP said various times that they were not getting the cops involved and that they didn't care if anyone had a felony or was on probation, but I'm still freaking out!!! They said that is was only on kohls and that they were keeping the paper we signed in there file but they took pictures of us and our lisences, are they getting the cops involved? Or is there just going to be a fine letter I have to pay? Or one for both of us? They didn't really say anything just that the cops weren't involved! I've read so many different things online I'm just not sure what is going to happen!!!

The letter will request you donate some hush money to Kohl's via one of their law firms.

How much?

Depends. Could be $200, maybe $300 give or take.
Pay the hush money, Kohl's will hush.

You should hush, too.

Why does everyone seem to shoplift from Kohl's? Just something I've noticed on all these "Omg I did something really stupid and I'll never do it again and I'm an amazing person but I stole (insert trivial item here).

Because after it's done you realize how petty you are from doing it & want to know what happens next

That's not what I said. I said why is Kohl's the most popular place to steal from FOR the "omg I can't believe I did this. It's the first time ever" crowd. Reading comprehension.

I suspect its NOT the first time the person got popped.
Very few of these cowboys can say its their first rodeo.

You should receive what is called a civil demand letter through the mail. If you pay it, "generally" that will be the end of it.

I did the same DUMB thing exactly one year ago, and just finished paying the fee ($250 total, I paid in $25/month payments) and nothing else has come from it. I live in a state where the statute of limitations on misdemeanors is 6 yrs so i will be worried for the next five just because thats how i am.

Back