giving up parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine1970

Hi,
I'm new to the thread but i do have a situation. me and my boyfriend of 3 years just found out that i'm almost two months pregnant. He stated he didn't want any kids and would like for me to have an abortion, i refused. now, he has contacted an attorney(i haven't recieved any paperwork yet) saying he doesn't want any part of being a parent to our child. not only am i heart broken, but in disbelief of his actions.
what can i do? He don't have to be a part of the child life, but, i will need support taking care of it. will he be relentquished from paying supports as well.

What a jerk. I'm sorry about how your ex- is acting. Don't worry, he can "relinquish" his rights to the child but he can't relinquish his obligations to the child. Will you be using Medicaid to pay for the birth? If so, they will want to know who the father is and the Department of Family and children services will help you get a child support order. Get it, have him pay through the courts so you don't have to have any contact with him. It's sad that he would abandon a child like that. He played and he will pay.

Good luck with the child. I hope you find a man who will raise that child with you.

dont have sex if you dont want kids

Hi,
I'm new to the thread but i do have a situation. me and my boyfriend of 3 years just found out that i'm almost two months pregnant. He stated he didn't want any kids and would like for me to have an abortion, i refused. now, he has contacted an attorney(i haven't recieved any paperwork yet) saying he doesn't want any part of being a parent to our child. not only am i heart broken, but in disbelief of his actions.
what can i do? He don't have to be a part of the child life, but, i will need support taking care of it. will he be relentquished from paying supports as well.

he should have thought of this before having unprotected sex with you( or any other woman, for that matter). wether he likes it or not, when the child is born, hes on the hook for cs for the next 18 years. unless theres a stepparent willing to adopt, he cant terminate his rights, so he will be dad untill that happens, wether he wants to be or not. boy, id really like to punch him in the nose right now!:mad::no:

Last edited:
What a shame, the first thing i learned as a kid of 18 some 30 some years ago was "If you play you pay" from my father, well that almost became the case sooner then i thought.
My girlfriend and I split up and got back together months later and became pregnant, long story short, the timing wasn't right and i wanted blood test before making a life long commitment. That took 18 months before blood test could prove parental ship. I was not the father.
Now days i believe DNA can show father hood in 2 weeks or so, and you can keep your last name for the child.
I would pursue with child support if he wants nothing to due with the child, think of yourself and the well being of the child ( not it ) first.

good luck

He cannot give up his rights. Maybe his mind will change after the baby is born but you can file for child support after the birth. In the meantime figure out how you are going to support this baby on your own. Hopefully your boyfriend will come around but you need to think of the worse case scenario, but he cannot sign over his rights. Just keep him informed of the pregnancy, keep in touch with him as it progresses, and hope he changes his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back