Giving up parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahF

This may be long but my husband and I need some great advice!

My husband is in the military to start with and after a deployment found out that his wife was pregnant. They had already decided on a divorce before then. Once they found out about the child they tried to make it work. When it didnt his ex moved from Hawaii to Washington and seemed to vanish. My husband kept in contact with her mother who would not help him out at all. Before another deployment he sent her mother divorce papers. While he was deployed she went to court and got the divorce as well as child custody. (this is 2 years later) He received the papers that stated that he was an absent father but due to deployment was stuck and unable to go further until he returned... 13 months later. She never informed the courts that he was deployed. He has now returned to find out that their daughter is calling her new husband dad and has never been told otherwise. She once mentioned her new husband adopting her but they dont have the money to do it. My husband as only seen the child for the first 6 weeks of her life and the dont know each other at all. We dont want to confuse a 4 year old child with who her father is and my husband is now thinking about giving up his parental rights but we are unsure how long they plan on holding off for the adoption to go through. We pay a large amount of child support and have begged her to let us visit and spend time with her. She says she is too busy and she waits until she knows that we are busy to invite us. For holidays and birthdays we send her gifts but they have to be from aunt and uncle or she sends them back. The whole experience with her has been horrid. We just dont know where to go from here.

First you stay out of this mess. Not being rude but if he does this and regrets it later you could catch some flack for it. This is his decision and you should remain uninvolved other than support whatever decision he makes. Now on to issue. If Mom's current husband is willing to adopt then this process should not be that difficult. Now these things can get tricky so hiring an Attorney should be a must

Your husband can only terminate rights if her husband adopts, and this must be petitioned by the mother. Your husband needs to see an attorney if he is unable to get mom to allow any visits. He just cannot sign away his rights because he doesn't want to deal with her. If all parties can agree on an adoption then that is fine.

As a father he has rights, ESPECIALLY if he is paying Child Support! This is his decision, If he wants to give up rights then he should discuss this with his ex and maybe you can even help with the adoption just to get it done sooner, otherwise she can just hold the papers forever and still keep your husband the responsible father. I understand you do not want to confuse the child, but if your husband is a good man then there is nor reason why she should be deprived of her REAL DADDY and shame on his ex for doing that! You need to do what is best for the child, if the ex lolly gags on the signing rights over and adoption then take the witch to court for visitation and custody/ either you will get to see her or it will put fire under her but to get the adoption done. I know this must be hard for your husband. Just be there for him and support him! Good luck and God Bless!

remember in every case where a man or woman gives up custody of their child one day there will be a 18 year old child who may have questions to ask him. make sure he can live with those answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back