given the "option" to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4blunjit

I was given the "option" to resign to "keep my record clear" today. I was also told that today would be my last day. I "was" the director of my dept. I was told that I was being terminated because of "unrest" in my dept. If I "resign", even though I was actually fired, will this affect my unemployment benefits? What information can my former employer give out about me to prospective employers? How do I know if I have a legal case? Thank you for all responses.

In most if not all states, a resign-or-be-terminated choice is treated as an involuntary termination for unemployment purposes. So while I can't offer you any guarantees, it is likely that as long as they were not asking you to resign because of some form of misconduct that would in itself be a disqualifier, you *should* qualify for UI.

Your former employer can give out any information that is true, that they honestly believe is true, or that represents their honestly held and supportable opinion.

You would only have a "legal case" (I assume you mean for wrongful termination) if you were terminated for a reason specifically prohibited by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back