Girlfriend was sentenced to serve 5 days in jail on November 13, 2020 and here she still is in jail.

Brian Pokorny

Jurisdiction
California
She saw the judge on November 13, 2020 and was sentenced for 5 days and so her court date was moved because of COVID and her cell was quarantine and she calls me up today and said she has to stay another 14 more days because quarantine again. Her public defender wont return my calls and she is losing her mind having to still be there and now another 14 days, How is this legal and what can I do for her. Thank you

How is this legal

Because the "gubmint" says it's LEGAL.

what can I do for her

If you believe in a "deity", you can pray to her/him/it/them.

Otherwise, you can HIRE her a lawyer to assist in her release.

Have you gone to the county jail website where she is being housed?

For example, if she were in the "Orange County Jail in CA" you could look up her EXACT charges:

Who's In Jail - Inmate Info

For example, if she were in the "LA County Jail in CA" you could look up her EXACT charges:

LASD Inmate Information Center - Inmate Search

I suggest you do your due diligence and determine IF you're being told the truth by the woman, or if you're being misled.

Yes I have done all of that and everyday it says her next court date is the following day and she does not go and this has been going on the last 2 weeks. I go on the website today and says her next court date is !2/10/20.Why would she lie about what the judge sentenced her?
And why dont I just hire a lawyer? Because I'm not rich and am struggling already to get by in life and so why should it matter if I hire a lawyer or have a PD. The fact is we are suppose to be all treated equal with our rights and so rich or not how is this allowed. Thanks

Yes I have done all of that and everyday it says her next court date is the following day and she does not go and this has been going on the last 2 weeks. I go on the website today and says her next court date is !2/10/20.Why would she lie about what the judge sentenced her?
And why dont I just hire a lawyer? Because I'm not rich and am struggling already to get by in life and so why should it matter if I hire a lawyer or have a PD. The fact is we are suppose to be all treated equal with our rights and so rich or not how is this allowed. Thanks
I'm just going to point out one fact: Her attorney is not "obligated" to speak with you...as a matter of fact her attorney can not speak with you.

What was your girlfriend sentenced for? What was she convicted of?

She saw the judge on November 13, 2020

Saw the judge for what purpose? And in what county.

and was sentenced for 5 days

Sentenced for what crime?

and so her court date was moved

What was the purpose of this "court date," and when was it moved from and to?

How is this legal

Might not be.

what can I do for her.

Aside from what's already been suggested, and assuming you're not willing to engage in illegal activity, nothing.

as a matter of fact her attorney can not speak with you.

That's certainly not true. Nor is it true that the attorney is legally prohibited from speaking to the OP. The only thing the lawyer is prohibited from doing is conveying confidential information to the OP, but there's no implication that is either sought or needed.

why should it matter if I hire a lawyer or have a PD

She has a lawyer.
You don't have a lawyer.
Her lawyer is under no obligation to speak with you about her legal matters.
That doesn't mean the lawyer can't speak with you, should she/it/he choose to do so.
Apparently her lawyer is NOT speaking with you.
I am in no position to answer why other human beings do, or fail to do anything!!!!
Why not write the lawyer a letter?

why dont I just hire a lawyer?

You need NOT explain WHY you don't hire a lawyer.
I don't care if you hire anyone a lawyer.
I'm just another one of the 330,000,000 people who inhabit the USA.

I'm a nobody, a bum, a derelict, a deviate, human scum; "IMPOTENT PEEPULLS" need NOT take note of scum such as me!!!!

The fact is we are suppose to be all treated equal with our rights and so rich or not how is this allowed.

You might ask your state's governor, attorney general, your elected state rep, your elected state senator, your mayor, or any other elected official; including the Sheriff of LA County who you allege is holding the woman hostage.

She saw the judge on November 13, 2020 and was sentenced for 5 days and so her court date was moved because of COVID and her cell was quarantine and she calls me up today and said she has to stay another 14 more days because quarantine again. Her public defender wont return my calls and she is losing her mind having to still be there and now another 14 days, How is this legal and what can I do for her. Thank you

Hire a lawyer for her - that's really all. The PD doesn't have to call you back at all. If it's quarantine - then she's there until she clears quarantine it seems like. But if she's unhappy with her PD, she retain a lawyer of her own.

"Why would she lie about what the judge sentenced her?" --- People lie. All the time. For the dumbest reasons. Want examples? Watch the show Catfish...

You don't have to hire her a lawyer - that's just the only thing you can do. You asked what you could do.

"he fact is we are suppose to be all treated equal with our rights and so rich or not how is this allowed." LMAO - that's a good one. People have never been treated equally since this country started. You have to know that. The reality is if you don't have money and can't bail out of jail, you sit there. If you can't afford a lawyer, you get a public defender. That's just facts.

People have never been treated equally since this country started. You have to know that. The reality is if you don't have money and can't bail out of jail, you sit there. If you can't afford a lawyer, you get a public defender. That's just facts.
From a technical standpoint, people are treated equally insofar as the jail system is concerned. Rich or poor, if you don't post bail, you don't get out of jail (as you said). That doesn't mean that one is being treated differently than anyone else because they are, in fact, being treated the same. Additionally, I would argue that folks who are assigned a PD are treated better by the system. If I were to be put in to jail, I wouldn't be "given" an attorney, rather, I'd have to pay from my own pocket for an attorney. Granted, it would be easier for me to post bail and to retain an attorney, but my point is that the inequity is based on factors external to the jail system itself.

From a technical standpoint, people are treated equally insofar as the jail system is concerned. Rich or poor, if you don't post bail, you don't get out of jail (as you said). That doesn't mean that one is being treated differently than anyone else because they are, in fact, being treated the same. Additionally, I would argue that folks who are assigned a PD are treated better by the system. If I were to be put in to jail, I wouldn't be "given" an attorney, rather, I'd have to pay from my own pocket for an attorney. Granted, it would be easier for me to post bail and to retain an attorney, but my point is that the inequity is based on factors external to the jail system itself.
I'm not even going to get into this but you're completely wrong. Have a great day.

Back