Getting unemployment compensation after voluntary layoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

parmalorac

My place of employment has laid off 12 individuals from my office in the last year, but kept me on above people who had been with the company much longer than me.

About 9 months ago, I began to have health problems and have been placed on two FMLA's -one for colon trouble and the other for a precancerous cyst in my breast. I've missed at least one day a month since it all started and the fact that I'm missing work only exacerbates my health issues because of the stress. I have breast surgery coming up and will have to miss even more work. The amount of money my insurance is paying for all of the tests and procedures I've had to undergo exceeds $12,000.00, which is much more than I've paid into my insurance.

I would like to volunteer to be laid off if the company decides to begin layoffs again in the near future, but I'm not sure about the following concerns I have:

How much am I costing the company by being gone so often? What percentage of the $12,000.00 in insurance have they had to pay in the last 9 months because of my illnesses? How would this affect my unemployment? Also, would I be able to get a severance package (which might be my accrued vacation time and 2 weeks pay - maybe $1,100.00?) even though the layoff would be considered voluntary?

What would you recommend?

Thank you.

1. We have no idea how much you're "costing the company". Only the company can calculate that.
2. How would we know how much the employer has had to pay relative to your treatment?
3. How would what affect your unemployment?
4. Severance? We have no idea, this is a company decision, not a law.

Here's the deal. If the employer has enough employees, and you and your medical condition qualify, you would be MUCH better off with FMLA leave. Do you have any left in the current FMLA year? Based on your answer, I can provide the reasons why (or why not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back