Getting sue'd for a car accident in mid 2022 - Need advice

Wanderlust99

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I rear ended someone on a highway when that guy stopped all of a sudden on a highway. This happened in mid to late 2022. At that time the guy said he has no pain or injury. He called police and waited over 2hrs and they didn't show up so I gave him my insurance information and my insurance company worked with him and settled the matter. Now, I don't have that car anymore or I'm having any car insurance and I'm being sued by this guy citing some medical issues. I'm also not living in the US anymore due to financial issues. I see that my then car insurance company settled the case and he is filing the case to extract money from me that I dont have. Is this something I should be concerned about or just ignore it? Can the opposite counsel could do anything to put me into trouble without my presence in the US? Appreciate your detailed response. Thanks much in advance.

I rear ended someone on a highway when that guy stopped all of a sudden on a highway. This happened in mid to late 2022. At that time the guy said he has no pain or injury. He called police and waited over 2hrs and they didn't show up so I gave him my insurance information and my insurance company worked with him and settled the matter. Now, I don't have that car anymore or I'm having any car insurance and I'm being sued by this guy citing some medical issues. I'm also not living in the US anymore due to financial issues. I see that my then car insurance company settled the case and he is filing the case to extract money from me that I dont have. Is this something I should be concerned about or just ignore it? Can the opposite counsel could do anything to put me into trouble without my presence in the US? Appreciate your detailed response. Thanks much in advance.
Turn it over to your insurance company (the one you had at the time of the accident).

my insurance company worked with him and settled the matter. Now, . . . I'm being sued by this guy

You need to call the claims department of the insurer who settled the claim and demand that it retain an attorney to defend you in the lawsuit. One would assume the retained attorney will first send a copy of the written settlement agreement to the plaintiff's attorney and demand dismissal.

Is this something I should be concerned about or just ignore it?

How much money is being sought? Do you intend ever to return to the state where the accident occurred (or anywhere else in the U.S.)?

Can the opposite counsel could do anything to put me into trouble without my presence in the US?

If you ignore the matter, the plaintiff could obtain a judgment against you and then seek to domesticate and enforce the judgment in your present country of residence. Also, if you have assets in the U.S., the plaintiff could pursue those assets to satisfy the judgment.

If you have been served a summons and complaint (or even just a threat from an attorney), immediately contact the insurance company that you had on the date of the accident and make arrangements to send the summons and complaint to the claims department. They will handle it for you.

Thanks!

I rear ended someone on a highway when that guy stopped all of a sudden on a highway. This happened in mid to late 2022. At that time the guy said he has no pain or injury. He called police and waited over 2hrs and they didn't show up so I gave him my insurance information and my insurance company worked with him and settled the matter. Now, I don't have that car anymore or I'm having any car insurance and I'm being sued by this guy citing some medical issues. I'm also not living in the US anymore due to financial issues. I see that my then car accident lawyers settled the case and he is filing the case to extract money from me that I dont have. Is this something I should be concerned about or just ignore it? Can the opposite counsel could do anything to put me into trouble without my presence in the US? Appreciate your detailed response about San Francisco car accident attorney. Thanks much in advance.
If it is still not solved, I wanna add few words.
You should take this matter seriously despite not being in the US. Ignoring it could lead to legal consequences. Although your insurance settled initially, if the other party is now pursuing additional compensation for medical issues, it could escalate. Consult with a legal expert to understand your options and potential liabilities. While it's challenging for the opposing counsel to pursue action if you're abroad, ignoring it won't make it disappear. It's advisable to address it through legal channels to avoid future complications. Thanks!

Back