Getting prosecuted for sexting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navx

Jurisdiction
Florida
i sexted a couple months ago, and this is my first offense. I'm currently 15 years old, and when I sexted I was still 15, since there is no statute on sexting, if I'm charged when I'm over the age of 18 would I be charged as an adult or as a minor? And what are the chances that they would decide to prosecute me because of something I did when I was 15.

i sexted a couple months ago, and this is my first offense. I'm currently 15 years old, and when I sexted I was still 15, since there is no statute on sexting, if I'm charged when I'm over the age of 18 would I be charged as an adult or as a minor? And what are the chances that they would decide to prosecute me because of something I did when I was 15.

Sexting is something of vague term; I hear teens use it cover a range of activity. If all you did was text chat with someone under 18 about sex that's not a crime. If you sent nude or sexually explicit photos or videos of yourself to anyone, that would be a crime.

If you committed some crime, it is your age at the time the crime was committed that determines whether it is treated as a juvenile offense or an adult crime. There are some crimes that a teen might still face adult charges for. That would depend greatly on the applicable law that you are charged with violating.

No way to tell what some unknown prosecutor in some unknown jurisdiction would do about prosecuting you if there is some crime you committed. The facts involved also would make a significant difference.

Sexting is something of vague term; I hear teens use it cover a range of activity. If all you did was text chat with someone under 18 about sex that's not a crime. If you sent nude or sexually explicit photos or videos of yourself to anyone, that would be a crime.

If you committed some crime, it is your age at the time the crime was committed that determines whether it is treated as a juvenile offense or an adult crime. There are some crimes that a teen might still face adult charges for. That would depend greatly on the applicable law that you are charged with violating.

No way to tell what some unknown prosecutor in some unknown jurisdiction would do about prosecuting you if there is some crime you committed. The facts involved also would make a significant difference.
It was trading pods between 2 minors. The punishment if I turned myself in would be a $60 fine and/or community service in the state of Florida. The nudes were sent over Instagram. I have since deleted and blocked the account. Is there a chance I could get in trouble in the future.

Have you been contacted by any law enforcement agency? Has someone said they were going to report you to a law enforcement agency?

If the answer to both of those question is no, chill. Go forth and sin no more.

Have you been contacted by any law enforcement agency? Has someone said they were going to report you to a law enforcement agency?

If the answer to both of those question is no, chill. Go forth and sin no more.
I have not been contacted by any law enforcement but it was with a guy on the internet, if he gets caught then I may be caught, and there are no statutes so I can be charged whenever and if I'm older than 22 I may be charged as an adult because I can't be tried in juvenile courts even though the crime happened when I was a juvenile.

I think you mean Statute of Limitation, not statutes.

There is virtually no chance of you being charged. But keep some of the fear you are felling in you so you don't do stupid stuff in the future.

I think you mean Statute of Limitation, not statutes.

There is virtually no chance of you being charged. But keep some of the fear you are felling in you so you don't do stupid stuff in the future.
If the guy I sexted with got caught and they got a search warrant they would probably see when we sexted, even though I blocked him and deleted the account. Also if I do end up getting in trouble after the age of 22 would I be charged as a minor or as an adult, because adults can't be charged as minors after that age. But that would be messed up to be charged as an adult. Please let me know I've been freaking out for months.

What do you think the other guy is going to get caught for?

Once again you need to chill. The chances of anything coming from this are so low that they are essentially zero.

If the guy I sexted with got caught and they got a search warrant they would probably see when we sexted, even though I blocked him and deleted the account.

Thinking things THROUGH (even after the fact) can serve you well going forward.

However, it is ALWAYS better to THINK before you act.

In the future, just don't send or request pictures of "naughty" "bits and bytes".

An even longer lasting sting from this potential fiasco is the lifetime registration requirement on some sexual offenders list.

Don't do stupid stuff!

What do you think the other guy is going to get caught for?

Once again you need to chill. The chances of anything coming from this are so low that they are essentially zero.
Also I've been trying to get an answer for this question for a while but if I get charged after the age of 21 will I still have juvenile consequences because if you're older than 22,Then you can't be in juvenile courts. Or will I have adult consequences which are really bad. For a minor the consequences would be a $60 fine or 8 hours of community service. As an adult it would be To register as a sex offender and some jail time and a lot of fines. Please help me out, I can't sleep at night and I can't eat because of this. I'm 15 years old and I don't want my life to be messed up.

Now you are starting to seem like a troll, asking the same (or similar) question over and over.

How many times do you need to be told that you probably have nothing to worry about? If you still aren't satisfied, get yourself to a lawyer and stop wasting our time.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back