Getting my father's house in my name??

ksh21

Jurisdiction
Texas
I need to know how I can get my father's house legally put in my name, as in I own the house. My father has been dead for 15 years, my mother died just this past year, but the house is still in his name. I was told the other heirs would have to be contacted. But A)most of them I have not seen or spoken to in over 20 years. B)I lived in the house my entire life I feel I have more right to it. My father's other children didn't even speak to him anymore. and C) The one person I had talked to about getting the house threatened me if I tried to pursue it.

I'm a college student so I can't afford a lawyer, but this house was my grandmother's since the 50s and I really want to keep it in the family and have things go fairly. And my entire family pretty much has disowned me...they are not the best people. I don't know what to do.

I need to know how I can get my father's house legally put in my name, as in I own the house. My father has been dead for 15 years, my mother died just this past year, but the house is still in his name. I was told the other heirs would have to be contacted. But A)most of them I have not seen or spoken to in over 20 years. B)I lived in the house my entire life I feel I have more right to it. My father's other children didn't even speak to him anymore. and C) The one person I had talked to about getting the house threatened me if I tried to pursue it.

I'm a college student so I can't afford a lawyer, but this house was my grandmother's since the 50s and I really want to keep it in the family and have things go fairly. And my entire family pretty much has disowned me...they are not the best people. I don't know what to do.

If your mother died intestate, you can't just inherit the home alone.

The home legally passes to you and your siblings.

If one sibling wants to sell the home, the court will force its sale.

There's NOTHING you can do LEGALLY to inherit the home unless ALL the other siblings assent to your desires and sign the home over to you.

Otherwise, you and your siblings own the home.

I suggest you contact your siblings to discuss what will happen to your mother's estate.

Does it make a difference if they are only my siblings through adoption? I don't know if they are all even alive. Some of these people have never even met me.

again, college student, I have no money

Does it make a difference if they are only my siblings through adoption? I don't know if they are all even alive. Some of these people have never even met me.

again, college student, I have no money

College student, no money, OR RICH TRUST FUND BABY with billions of bucks; ADOPTED siblings are treated EQUALLY as if they were issue of your mother and father.

Again, poor or rich, the drill is the same.
If you want the home in your name alone, the others will demand tribute.
Or, the home is sold at auction and proceeds divided EQUALLY among all of you.

Your mother should have dealt with this 15 years ago when your father passed.

Sounds to me like the only way to handle this mess is with an attorney.

If you're in college many universities provide at least basic legal services for students. You should look into this. Your situation seems to be way too far over your head for you to deal with it yourself.

Back