Getting dog back from ex boyfriend

P

PaperMoon

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
My boyfriend just broke up with me last week. We bought a puppy together about a month and a half ago. We each paid $200 and his mom paid the other $400. The papers are in his name, and he said he wants me to keep the dog. His mom won't let me have him. He refuses to sign an agreement, but I have proof through text message screenshots of him saying I can keep the dog, is that proof enough to help me get my dog back? If so, what is the next step I should take?

Does the jurisdiction where you live require dogs to be licensed? If so it isn't your dog until that is done.
Short of that you are pretty much at his mercy. If he wants to let mom interfere then
that's on him. If he wants to give the dog to you then mom can't stop him.

Money can make the impossible suddenly possible.
Money can very often turn a NO into a YES.
You gotta pay the price for the things that is nice.
How much do you love the dog, $200, $400, $600, or whatever it takes?

His text messages are meaningless. If the dog is in his name it is his dog. If he wanted you to have it, he would give it to you. His mother has no more say over the dog than you do. If he wants to use mom as an excuse not to give you his dog, he is entitled. You can always offer to pay him for what they shelled out for the dog and see if that changes his mind. I can see why they wouldn't be thrilled to hand over a $600 gift to an ex-gf.

Back