get him out. my granddaughter's live-in boyfriend is no longer welcome to live in my home. how do I

gringgo

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My grand-daughter's live-in boyfriend is no longer welcome to live with her in my home. He and I have no lease, only a verbal agreement with my grand-daughter, but he has been living here with her until now with my implied consent. How do I get rid of him?

How do I get rid of him?

You can ask the bum to leave.

If he leaves, your problem is solved, just don't allow him back into your home, or on your property.

You could even offer him $200 (or whatever it takes) to leave, and sign a document saying something along these lines:

"I, John Doe, voluntarily agree to permanently vacate the home of Bobby Green at 123 Happy Street, in the city of Laughing, state of Georgia for the sum of $200."
Signed this 1st day of March 2019

____________________ John Doe

____________________ Bobby Green

Once he has left, you should IMMEDIATELY change all locks and alarm codes.

==============================================================

If none of that occurs you must do the following:

You may legally remove a Tenant and the Tenant's property from rented premises only under the Dispossessory procedure.

If a Landlord uses self-help to evict a Tenant without benefit of a Dispossessory action, it is a tort for which the Tenant may recover damages in a civil action.

Any landlord who cuts off utilities may be subject to misdemeanor prosecution under OCGA 44-7-14.1.

How Do I Evict a Family Member from Our Property? | FreeLegalAid

How to Evict a Guest in Georgia

In the State of "Georgia" - How do I evict fami - Q&A - Avvo

What do I have to do to evict a family member a - Q&A - Avvo

Eviction Notices for Nonpayment of Rent in Georgia

You give him 60 days notice (preferably in writing) that his tenancy is terminated per 44-7-7:

2017 Georgia Code :: Title 44 - Property :: Chapter 7 - Landlord and Tenant :: Article 1 - In General :: § 44-7-7. Tenancy at will -- Notice required for termination

Then you file for eviction if he hasn't left, per 44-7-50:

2017 Georgia Code :: Title 44 - Property :: Chapter 7 - Landlord and Tenant :: Article 3 - Dispossessory Proceedings :: § 44-7-50. Demand for possession; procedure upon a tenant's refusal; concurrent issuance of federal lease termination notice

Meantime you spend the next 60 days sorely regretting the day you let him in.

Or, you can pay him to leave. How much that cost you is anybody's guess.

If he has been violent or threatening toward you, or if you cash otherwise justify the request, you can try to get a restraining order. This could get him out quick.

Back