German Father, Mexican Mother, Baby born in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomde

We (Mexican Mother and German Father) are living in Texas, US and will have our baby born in the US.
If so, I assume the baby will be American citizen. Will it have in parallel the German and Mexican citizenship? For how long?
Any legal advise on the situation?
Father and Mother are living in US with L1 Visa.

Thank you

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Yes, by virtue of birth in the US, the child will be a US citizen. However, that won't confer any immigration benefits to the parents until the child reaches the age of majority.

Your baby will be a citizen of the USA by virtue of it being born on US soil.
I am sure it will also hold Mexican and German citizenship.
It will be able to declare its nationality and citizenship at age 18.
Until then, you and your spouse as parents, can convey Mexican or German citizenship to the child.
To be certain of what I have written, contact the German and Mexican Embassies for a definitive answer.
The baby's birth certificate, issued in the US, will give it US citizenship.

Thanks,

I will double check with the Mex and German embassy.
From your answer I understand the baby will be able to have 3 passports and has to decide on the citizenship with 18.

Thanks,

I will double check with the Mex and German embassy.
From your answer I understand the baby will be able to have 3 passports and has to decide on the citizenship with 18.

You need to check with the various embassies.
Some nations do not issue passports to infants.
But, as you describe it, your baby will initially hold citizenship of three different nations!

YES, YES, and YES. The child is an American Citizen by virtue of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. Both Germany and Mexico will offer citizenship at his 18th birthday. If he wishes he can renounce his US Citizenship and become either German or Mexican. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back