Security Deposit Georgia Security Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsynic

My landlord owns fewer than 10 units, but she wants to do the move out inspection process. She did not do the move -in inspection on her side, but I did on my side. My lease states that she has three days to return Move Out sheet, etc to me (standard GA lease - F40 Lease for Residential Property). I was there when she did the move out, but I did not agree. She did not allow me to make changes or add my comments disputing what she was saying. She wanted me to sign it. She stated she would send me a copy - I stated I would create my own list. She then retorts back well if you are not signing mine I am not going to sign yours. I told her she has to provide me with the estimate before she makes does anything she stated no she didn't. She wants to deduct from my security deposit - lawn care, carpet cleaning, house cleaning, and to get her heating system checked - I told her I am not paying for that...that is her responsibilty to have service calls to her hvac unit. She also wants me to pay for two bar stools, that she left at the house for my use and for the fire place that I didn't even use. She is so screwed up. I need to know what is wear and tear. Also, what laws apply to those types of landlords? How can I get my money back from her? I overpaid her $550 and she stated that she was keeping 4 days because I gave her notice on the 3rd of Feb, but she still wanted me out the 1st of March. I told her she owes me that $146 dollars because she kicked me out. Yes the lease was up on 1 March, but by her charging me for four days I should have been able to stay until 4 March. Which meant that today when we did the walk out I still could have occupied the space and had time to make any of those changes that she requested. - What do you think?

I think that one has to know what battles to fight.
One also needs to walk away, and avoid a fight.
The may say many things.
The only way you can attempt to for e her to return $500 (or whatever amount you think she owes you) is to take her to small claims court and sue her.
She can ignore the law.
She can ignore you.
She is ignoring you.
You can't make her pay you.
A court can't make her pay you.
You might be able to obtain a judgment against her for $500, then what?
Well, then you get really frustrated trying to collect that judgment.
It isn't like Judge Judy or Judge Mathis, there you walk out with a check.
In real small claims cases, you get a piece of paper saying someone owes you $"X".
Then you gotta try and collect that judgment.
That's where this is headed.
It's frustrating and often unrewarding!

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD

Army Judge thanks! The good thing is she is a military member and I can go to her Commanding Officer - the military does not like that too much.
My deposit is $1100 dollars - and that is worth going after plus the principle is worth it too. I told her she is getting bad advice from her "agent friend" in NC where I am sure laws are different than GA.

Her CO won't give a flying hoot about a $500 civil debt.

Or even a $1100 civil debt.

Trust me here. If it were a debt pertaining to child or spousal or other family support? Oh, absolutely! But other than that?

They truly won't give a damn.

<---Mom of an active duty military child who happens to have a bunchload of debt. I know of what I speak.

Last edited:
Thank you Proserpina! I think I am going to take her to court - right now for my $156 dollars. I call it an illegal eviction. She stated she received notice on 3 Feb, but yet had me turn in my keys on 1 Mar and decided to keep $156 of the $550 overpayment. This is going to get tricky so I will most likely have to consult an attorney.

Thank you Proserpina! I think I am going to take her to court - right now for my $156 dollars. I call it an illegal eviction. She stated she received notice on 3 Feb, but yet had me turn in my keys on 1 Mar and decided to keep $156 of the $550 overpayment. This is going to get tricky so I will most likely have to consult an attorney.

Is spending $500, maybe $1,000 to possibly get a judgment for $150 (not a check) a sound financial decision?

Before you get that far, you'll spend $50 to $100 just to file this case and effect service of your defendant.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back