Georgia child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldshot

I am 28 and live in Alabama with my husband and 3 children. I left my daughters birth father when she was 2 because he was an alcoholic and mentally abusive, though I have no proof of that. I met my husband when my daughter was 3 and we were married when she was 5 and have a great marriage and family. I never went after her birth father for child support because I was scared he would have rights to her and I didn't trust him. I had her when I was 16 and she is 12 now and I feel that he should be paying child support and told his mother that I needed to talk to him and they will not give me any of his information to file for support. Well, he finally called me and started threatening me with custody which I know could not happen, or I hope. My question is, although he has not had anything to do with her for 10 years, can he get visitation if I take him to court for support? Also because she is 12, can she have the right to say whether or not she would want to have visitation with him, because I will not send my 12 year old daughter to a grown mans house that she doesn't know, but If he pays child support will she be made to see him? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

If you file for child support, chances are the courts are going to allow him to see the child. Visits will probably be supervised at first, but eventually he might get unsupervised.

You cannot expect child support and no rights to the child.

Have you thought about having your husband adopt her?

Also paternity will have to be established on the child.

Quite honestly, if this guy is a jerk and dealing with him is likely to add alot of stress to your life, I would think twice about doing this.

My husband wants to adopt her

Yes, my husband wants to adopt her and I know that will cut off all rights to the birth father. I didn't think I had to hire an attorney to be able to do a legal adoption, isn't there another way without having to pay so much? Also, I don't know why the birth father would have to sign over rights when he was never put on the birth certificate and has not been in her life for 10 years, but I have been told that it didn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back