Garnishment

Evonlouis

Jurisdiction
Florida
I have a judgement from 2006 can my paucheck be garnishef to pau a 12 year old judgrment and is there a statue of limitation

I have a judgement from 2006 can my paucheck be garnishef to pau a 12 year old judgrment and is there a statue of limitation

FL SOL

Florida Written contacts: 5 years Oral contracts: 4 years
Promissory note: 5 years Credit cards: 4 years

A six year old debt may protect you from your wages being levied.
The six year period starts the last day you made a payment on the debt.
However, FL is one of two debtor friendly states.
Texas is the other.
Before your wages can be levied against, you first have to be successfully sued.
Were you sued?

Army Judge might have overlooked that you said "I have a judgement from 2006."

Judgments in Florida are enforceable for 20 years:

"95.11 Limitations other than for the recovery of real property.—Actions other than for recovery of real property shall be commenced as follows:
(1) WITHIN TWENTY YEARS.—An action on a judgment or decree of a court of record in this state."

So, yes, your wages can be garnished.

However, if you do get served with a writ of garnishment, read it very carefully and see if you qualify for the exemption addressed in 77.041:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Was the judgment issued by a FL court?
What is the amount of the judgment?
What type of debt caused the judgment, personal loan, mortgage, credit card, student loan, etc...?

Back