1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Game Hacking & DMCA

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by lolbob, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolbob

lolbob Law Topic Starter New Member

My jurisdiction is: California, United States

I got an email from my host telling me to remove the sections because it violates the DMCA. They stated that they did not check the validity of the claim, I removed the sections anwyays. But, I don't think that any of the content on the server is copyrighted or made by Nexon. DMCA's are only for copyrights, surely programs made by other people (not Nexon) and hosted on my site isn't illegal. Can't I have these sections on my site without getting in trouble under the fair use policy in the DMCA?

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

This is an issue of traditional copyright law and it's called contributory infringement and vicarious liability. If you are hosting a forum where this activity is going on and, after warning, you don't stop the unlawful activity from happening on your "property/premises" then you can be found liable for helping to contribute to copyright infringement. It seems rather straightforward and makes sense, no? After all, wouldn't you want to hold the person liable who is, e.g. providing a room for people to sell illegal copies of your products?

That said, I don't know what the posts stated. But if you've got an active and ongoing area where the intellectual property belonging to another are being illegal bought and sold, you're going to have problems.

3. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler New Member

Ripping and Redistributing Game Assets

My jurisdiction is: California, United States. Coincidence. :p

I was wondering what laws and what lines in said laws protect game assets (models, images, music, sound effects, animations, etc.) from being ripped and distributed without permission of the game's publisher. I'd assume the Digital Millennium Copyright Act is the law, there might be more I'm missing and I'm sure I'd misinterpret a lot of it. I just want to make sure that a certain community mods a game as legally as possible going forward and doesn't find itself in a bad situation.

By the way, of course all of this is not for profit.

4. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Copyright law covers game assets such as images, music, sound effects and animations. There is nothing but technology protecting the action of ripping. The DMCA is what helps you get content taken down from web sites quickly after discovering that someone has used your property without authorization.

Knightcrawler likes this.
  5. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler New Member

Thanks, that's the answer I anticipated.