Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Friend of mine hit a parked car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariobro

My friend, who is also a neighbor hit a parked car and caused damaged. There was nobody around since this was late at night so he parked the car around the corner from his home.He said that there was substantial damage to his car.The next day he walked over to where he parked, and the car was not there. He called the towing company and they said he had to pay them but that the car was located at the police department because it was involved in an accident and the officer wanted to talk to him. He gave them his number and a day later is still waiting for the call. He was careless but really can't afford to get in trouble as he is in financial ruin. He knows that no one witnessed him hitting the car and there were no cameras around. He doesn't know how they could just take his car, unless they ran his tags, his registration is suspended. Or maybe it was the damage on his car that made them tow it away? He doesn't know if he can get his car back as he is too afraid to go to the police station and doesn't think it's a good idea to make any statements to the police if he is under investigation.
What are the chances that he'll be charged with a hit and run?

How should he handle the police questioning him?

He doesn't have money for an attorney, but should he try to get one before he is charged?

Is there anything anyone can do to get his car back?

He doesn't have to talk with the police about any of it. He does need to contact them to find out if they are holding the vehicle or will release it to him. The longer it takes him to recover the vehicle the higher the fees will be.
There are many reasons why it could have been towed. The police or the tow company should be able to tell you the reason for the tow.

Anyway, pay the fees that are due to get the vehicle back, which might include paying any past due registration fees.
If police want to talk about a hit and run I suggest replying with a shoulder shrug.

I suspect it was towed as evidence. He may have to wait a long time for them to release it if he isn't going to talk to them. But, that's his call to make.

He can also expect that even if they can't make criminal charges stick against him, depending on the investigation the owner of the damaged property can probably make a civil case against him and sue him for damages since his car was the one that caused the damage.

Oh, and there is no way he can KNOW that there were no witnesses and no cameras.

Also, I'm going to take a wild guess here, but ... your "friend" was driving while impaired, wasn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back