1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Friend forced to move Eviction Defense

Discussion in 'Eviction, Recovery of Premises' started by Member 127005, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Member 127005

Member 127005 Law Topic Starter Guest

Jurisdiction:
    Illinois
    Would filing bankruptcy be an option if negotiation from me as witness fails negotiating terms with judge

My friend is facing $4000 in debt. She goes next week. She will be homeless. She has 2 weeks to move. She is on SSI, the landlord allowed her to make deductions on her rent for failure of landlord to repair essential maintenance to stove, heater, etc. The judge said a witness or evidence will help her case. She has both. Plus I've read a lot of best seller lawyer books and feel I am a good negotiator on her behalf, at least try to sway the judge's judgement.

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

You can not speak on her behalf. You are not an attorney. What you are proposing ^ is Unlawful Practice of Law.

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You MIGHT be allowed to speak as a "friend of the court" about information useful to the court in it's pursuit of equity and/or law.

If she's on SSI, she's probably judgment proof.

In effect, a judgment could be awarded against which the holder couldn't enforce because her funds/income are/is derived from a needs based funding source.

The issue for her will be the eviction, not the judgment.

An eviction will destroy (as in hamper) her chances of ever renting GOOD housing for DECADES, including PUBLIC HOUSING PROGRAMS.

Bankruptcy will protect her from the judgment ever being collected, even if she were to win a lottery or come into a ten million dollar inheritance.

Its the eviction that is going to hurt her for a a couple generations by hindering her ability to ever rent decent housing.

Michael Wechsler likes this.
  4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Goes where? To court? What is the purpose of the court appearance next week?

Oh, great. Have you also watched every episode of Law & Order?

I don't really understand what this question means. One does not "negotiat[e] terms with [a] judge." A judge's job is to make rulings on matters that have been put before the judge for adjudication.

As best I can understand the question, and making a couple of assumptions, filing bankruptcy will, at a minimum, delay the eviction, but it will not prevent it entirely.

5. Member 127005

No its not unlawful practice. I'm not a paralegal. So I have no guidelines that I am required to follow. Yes you can be her lawyer. The judge can only agree or disagree.

I have studied the courts and lawyers. They aren't better or smarter than We The People

We are the courts, The Constitution is not based on what lawyers wrote. Written codes and statutes are lawyers junk added to what they claim is law. Common Law is Law. Not Codes and Statutues

6. Member 127005

True, but she can get those records sealed and get back into housing again. There is also the real Law of Do Unto Others as you'd have done to you

7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

8. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Please provide a cite for that law, in any US jurisdiction.

9. Member 127005

hmmm? Still can witness

Will see what the judge does. If he isnt dumb, he will let the judgement go and just delay eviction, the friend's landlord is a moron and never repaired so she is likely to get it dismissed. The judge said a witness can show up.

How is it illegal when there is no Bar Exam or any training for a friend of the court as a witness?

10. Member 127005

Its The Golden Rule, source the Bible. Every judge takes oath by touching or holding the Bible as do witnesses at the stand

11. Member 127005

The question is will the judge be a total dumb or smart? From what I hear the guy likes rock music

12. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Please re-read what has been said.

justblue likes this.
  13. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Again, please cite the law. The bible is not law in the US.

justblue likes this.
  14. justblue

No...that is not true. Not every Judge.

Zigner likes this.
  15. justblue

Yes. It most certainly is against the law. And, based on your posting, I would question your mental competence to even represent yourself.

Zigner likes this.
  16. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Wrong. You might be able to "speak" on your friend's behalf, you cannot legally represent her in court (whether or not you're a paralegal).

Mmmm hmmmm.... Speaking of junk.

First of all, the "golden rule" did not originate in the Christian Bible (including the Judaic texts that make up the Old Testament). Second, judges and witnesses no longer swear on Bibles in most jurisdictions.

17. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

705 ILCS 205/  Attorney Act.

18. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Regrettably court records aren't sealed.

Yes, the states have deluded many uninformed citizenry alleging records can be sealed, and maybe they are at the state level.

However, there is the matter of federal retention of criminal records.

As regards civil matters, there are no star chambers in the country.

If a matter goes to court, it becomes a matter of public record.

In some cases, the information is available for FREE.

In other cases, one can pay a fee and see it all.

Take for instance the federal case depository available to EVERYONE, PACER.

Public Access to Court Electronic Records

Eviction records are available for all to see, and even the credit bureaus love to collect such scandalous information.

I'm a lawyer.
    I'm licensed to practice in dozens of states, including yours (or the one you're currently posting from).

If you dislike the information I provide, IGNORE me and IT.

In the meantime, don't quibble with me, or debate me about the law, mate.
    I've been practicing law longer than the majority of our population has been living.

justblue likes this.
  19. Red Kayak

Red Kayak Active Member

"I fought the law, and the law won."

justblue likes this.
  20. sandyeggo

sandyeggo Member

A total dumb? LOL. Someone sure sounds like a total dumb.

justblue likes this.