Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Fraud/shoplifting

paulva

Jurisdiction
Virginia
First off I'm scared out of my wits. And secondly I regret doing it if I didn't I wouldn't be writing this. Not trying to defend myself. Just saying it for what it's worth.

So.. I went into a certain store on Black Friday. Picked up two ties off the counter and took them to the front desk and returned them for credit.
The next day I went to another same store. Purchased a pair of shoes with that store credit.

Few days later I went back into the 2nd store with the receipt from the shoes I perchased picked up identical shoes returned those with that receipt. Got the credit Then went that day to another store and tried to do the same but this time they caught me. Took me in the back. Told me I'm arrested but not going to jail. I'm banned from those stores and I must appear in court and pay restitution. I'm myself have a learning disability so I don't understand the court and the paying restitution. Or am I going to jail.

For what it's worth. I also have depression. And the holidays make it worst because I can't afford gifts. So I know this doesn't make it all okay. I did it for the credit to buy for my family gifts
I deeply regret it and sorrowful. And repent of it. Not because I got caught. But because being a religious person I broke the law of God. And also the law of man. Which in this case go hand in hand. I've never done anything like this before I've never been arrested I don't have any criminal records. So again my questions are. What is paying restitution. The fine on the restitution is $200 also Am I going to jail?

Again I have a understanding problem so please don't use fancy hard words. Try to explain it as plainly and clearly. Please. I'm terrified. I should've never done these things. May God have mercy on me.

Your learning disability and depression have zero bearing on any of this. You can be arrested, particularly if these stores think to go back and look at their recent records and see that this wasn't a one time lapse in judgment but a pattern of theft. It is possible that if you pay the restitution they will drop it.

Your learning disability and depression have zero bearing on any of this. You can be arrested, particularly if these stores think to go back and look at their recent records and see that this wasn't a one time lapse in judgment but a pattern of theft. It is possible that if you pay the restitution they will drop it.

But what is restitution. I wasn't explained anything I was just yelled at a lot. Their was no good cop bad cop. It was constant insults. By police officers.

The easiest way to understand it is that restitution is reimbursing the store for their time and effort dealing with you.

Chances are that once you pay the restitution that will be the end of the matter.

As usual, it would be best if you had an attorney to help you.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Actually your getting off easy as what you did could be a felony. Court restitution (unrelated to Civil Demand) is the cos tof what you stole. The court will give you that figure. There will also be fines, community service and possible classes. All this plus possible criminal record and possible entry in retail theft database. To add to your problems Civil demand may be applied (outside of court) as well that could be anywhere from $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on local laws. Your disability is a "non issue". You need to discuss your options with an Attorney

When you go to court, plead not guilty. If you cannot afford a lawyer, ask that a public defender be appointed (a PD is a lawyer). You need to discuss your options with a lawyer.

For what it's worth, OP, you're no dummy.
You were CLEVER enough to orchestrate a scheme over and over, day after day, starting with the refund of two ties you stole.

You leveraged your illicit windfall, by obtaining a receipt, then stealing shoes, to obtain more ill gotten gains.

That ain't the work of a dummy mate, that's class AAA crime, baby!!!!

Pretending not to understand restitution, cheapens the shine on your scam, mate. Heck, even I know that anyone can Google a word and get a definition, and how the word is used in a sentence.

You did the dirty deed mate, over and over, day after day, hell; it appears to me stealing was your profession over the Thanksgiving holiday. Then you got got, and it all came undone. If they hadn't NABBED your conning, scamming booty, you'd still be out there running that slick, sweet scam. For all I know, you might be still running your one man organized crime wave.

Dang, dude, you a one person theft ring.

Anyway, good luck with your case.

I used to be a hitman, until I learned my lesson, too.

It'll all work out.

Back