Fraud by manipulating Bank's LOI by Broker

Gary Bahl

Jurisdiction
California
I am working with a broker for a loan on multi-family property. Broker photoshopped the Bank's original LOI to reflect higher origination fee in order to make more commission. Later when he slipped his fee, then he sends me back original Bank LOI.

Scenarios described below:

Broker introduced me to a bank that can do deal at my LTV requirement. Before sharing bank lOI with me he did two things.

1. He made me sign an agreement with him, stating he will cover bank origination costs from the bank and banks is asking for 1%.

2. He photoshopped the bank LOI to reflect higher bank origination fee i.e. 1%.

3. Now he shared with me original bank LOI with .25% origination fee that can be waived.

He is clearly trying to do fraud buyers to earn higher brokerage fee by manipulating bank's LOI document to his advantage. I do not mind paying broker fee but when someone tries to cheat I want to make sure person learns lesson. not sure what are his fiduciary responsibility as a broker.

Do you see this differently ? If not then, what do you suggest my options are in this situation?

thanks

Do you see this differently ?

Yes, as a private citizen, it isn't within my purview to prosecute anyone.

I report all lawbreakers to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

If not then, what do you suggest my options are in this situation?

I'd be very surprised to learn that you aren't aware of what to do when you discover anyone committing a crime.

The broker will receive a commission based on the final numbers, not the earlier document.

Yes, as a private citizen, it isn't within my purview to prosecute anyone.

I report all lawbreakers to to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

I'd be very surprised to learn that you aren't aware of what to do when you discover anyone committing a crime.
I actually do not know who can i report this mis-conduct. By these tactics he made me commit to higher %age than I would have agreed to had i know this story before.

Back