Fradulent Mechanics Lien on property

artdawg213

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I signed a contract with a guy I sold cars to in December. The contract stated that I would furnish $20k towards renovations to the house in my name. The work would be done within 60 days. In return he would recieve 30% of the sales price after home sells. (My contribution will be taken out of total plus home cost). After the first month he had jacked off all of my money. He no longer was able to finish the project. 8 months and an almost $20k later from my behalf, I got the home done myself with other contractors. He has been in and out over the past 8 months acting as if he has been contributing much knowing his percentage is on the line. The house is now listed for sale and he came out of no where and sent me a notice of intent for lien. I found out he is unlicensed, and was also broke the whole time. Never pulled permits like he should have and showed me a fake GC certificate. What do I need to do?

What do I need to do?

I don't think you really need a stranger to make suggestions to you, but I'll do it anyway.

You must speak to several lawyers and HIRE one to represent you against the charlatan that is attempting to bleed you dry.

Furthermore, first thing tomorrow morning you must proceed to the law enforcement agency (police, sheriff, marshal, state police, game warden, space force ranger, constable, or whatever the appropriate law enforcement official is called), ask to speak with a detective about some potential crimes.

Indiana contractor licensing is not regulated at the state level. Instead, contractors are required to register or obtain a license through the various municipal governments throughout the state. This means that getting your general contractors license in cities within Lake County will come with different fees, procedures, and requirements than that of Allen County — as licensure will be authorized by different agencies.

However, there are requirements by state law for registering the name of a general contracting business as an LLC, limited partnership, or corporation before obtaining an Indiana contractor license. Applicants for an Indiana business license will want to make sure they are squared away with the Indiana Secretary of State SOS: Business Services Division as their initial step in becoming a general contractor.

In the consolidated City of Indianapolis, which also includes areas of Marion County (excluding Lawrence, Beech Grove, Speedway and Southport), general contractors are licensed and will have to meet the requirements set forth by the Department of Business and Neighborhood Services indy.gov (formerly the Department of Code Enforcement.) The application fee is $247 for two years and applies to both new applications and renewals.

You seem to be near Indy, this might also be an option:

indy.gov

Indiana Contractor License | General Contractor License Indiana

Visit us:
Department of Business and Neighborhood Services
1200 Madison Ave
Suite 100
Indianapolis, IN 46225

Call us: 317.327.8700

8 a.m.-5 p.m. (M, T, TR)
12 p.m.-5 p.m. (W), 9 a.m.-5 p.m.(F)

Back