Found out there is a lien on the car I purchased

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradshaj

I recently purchased a non running vehicle from an individual, to flip it and make a profit. Fixed it in two days, sold it, but the new buyer found out their was a lien put on the vehicle for a few thousand dollars the individual I bought it from still owed. I contacted the person I bought it from, and we reached an agreement that she would buy it back for the money i paid, plus parts. We agreed on a date of two weeks. That date came and went, while i waited patiently. The person did not contact me. It took me three days to hunt her down and confront her about the situation. She proceded to pretty much say that she will not buy it back now. I contacted the bank with the lien and they told me the lien was for $2000+. They will not lift the lien without payment in full, which I am not interested in paying because the vehicle is now worth less than $1000. I asked them to please repo it out of my property, since I cannot title, sell, or own it. They refused to, because it would cost them too much. I contacted the police, thinking that there must have been a law broken here...nope. The officer, as well as the bank representative told me just to park it somewhere and it will git towed and the person I bought if from will be responsible. I am leaning towards filing a small claims suit against the woman I bought it from, for breech of a verbal contract. Does this sound like a valid case? I would like to get the money we agreed on. ($350) Can I also claim things such as my personal labor in fixing the vehicle?time away from work to deal with this issue? gas it takes me to drive to the county courthouse to deliver papers attend court? (100 mile round trip each time) Stress on my personal life, let alone my current budget and late bill payments due to her breach of contract?

Sorry, Charlie. You failed to exercise due diligence. The woman did not disclose the lien, but had you done a title search through your state's DMV you'd have discovered the clouded title. You should have done this before you purchased the car and gave the conwoman your money! I see no case here, just continued consternation and stress for you.

I take it the vehicle wasn't transferred into anyone's name but your own??? If this is the case, wouldn't you be held liable for the tow and transfer to a county storage lot; not the creep that sold to you?

Agree fully with Army - why didn't you do a title search locally? Nuff said there, sorry this happened to you. There is money to be had in these types of projects and if you enjoy it, heck chalk this up to a very good learning experience...and quietly move on. There are many other "legal" ways to make yourself whole...you just have to be clever enough to find em!

That was the problem, the vehicle cannot be transfered to anyone else. The bank wrote it off, and refused to recover it. ( I called and asked them to take it but they said no) They said they dont plan on getting paid from her so as long as SHE keeps the registration current, she can keep it. I found a way to get my $ back though. I found a guy who wants it just for parts and I explained the entire story to him, and made sure he 100% understands the issue with the title. He understands everything and is going to pick it up tonight...whew.

That's awesome.

LOL... that really is funny!

You might want to try a small claim's case. No one is ever sure what goes on in that court and a judge or arbitrator will do. It is more than likely that this woman won't even bother showing up and you can obtain your judgment. The next problem will be collection... but at least it's a start and it's possible you can make life difficult for her until she pays as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back