Forum Libel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarineMom

Over the last several months....I have been the victim of several postings on a local website that are designed to ridicule and place me in an unkind light within a small rural community that I live in.
Without explaining all of the details of this harassment and possible libel....
Several months back, I found my entre first and last name used as a thread header and several pages of most rediculing my religious or political beliefs.
I have been banned from this website for supposed TOS violation but in reality..it is my belief that this decidedly liberal website actually does not care for my conservative beliefs. Now that is their right to feel that way but...
Can they routinely place my real name on their website and use it as a forum to redicule myself, my family or other volunteer organizations I belong to?
The procedure....Is to post the information, allow it to remain for an unspecified amount of time and then remove it and claim no fowl because the information is ultimately removed.
I am not the only individual who has been the victim of this.
I have printed the original threads and those pertaining to others also.
I live in a small community in which I rely on my integrity to do business.
This website is a highly viewed website in my community.
I am fearful of bringing a possible suit as it will result in dialogue on this website in which I cannot participate or challenge in any way.
The local Sheriffs Department is hestitant to bring criminal charges without a slam dunk case as they will find themselves in the same postition on this website.
A local deputy was libeled personally several month ago and could only watch.
I am in a real bind here to know how to proceed.
I look forward to your comments and observations.
Respectfully
Marine Mom

Criminal charges will likely not happen. Libel provides for civil remedies. The easiest route is to write a certified letter, along with some proof, that this web site has been warned about libelous posts and continues to perpetuate them. In the event that this is allowed to continue you will be forced to use your legal rights to protect yourself. Frequently this is the easiest method of shutting this kind of activity down as soon as possible. Later you can decide whether you want to continue to pursue remedy in court. Good luck to you and I'm sorry that this has happened.

MarineMom said:
Over the last several months....I have been the victim of several postings on a local website that are designed to ridicule and place me in an unkind light within a small rural community that I live in.
Without explaining all of the details of this harassment and possible libel....
Several months back, I found my entre first and last name used as a thread header and several pages of most rediculing my religious or political beliefs.
I have been banned from this website for supposed TOS violation but in reality..it is my belief that this decidedly liberal website actually does not care for my conservative beliefs. Now that is their right to feel that way but...
Can they routinely place my real name on their website and use it as a forum to redicule myself, my family or other volunteer organizations I belong to?
The procedure....Is to post the information, allow it to remain for an unspecified amount of time and then remove it and claim no fowl because the information is ultimately removed.
I am not the only individual who has been the victim of this.
I have printed the original threads and those pertaining to others also.
I live in a small community in which I rely on my integrity to do business.
This website is a highly viewed website in my community.
I am fearful of bringing a possible suit as it will result in dialogue on this website in which I cannot participate or challenge in any way.
The local Sheriffs Department is hestitant to bring criminal charges without a slam dunk case as they will find themselves in the same postition on this website.
A local deputy was libeled personally several month ago and could only watch.
I am in a real bind here to know how to proceed.
I look forward to your comments and observations.
Respectfully
Marine Mom

I am a victim of defamatory remarks

Please help me. I too am a victim of defamation on the internet. How can I have harmful defamatory and libelous remarks removed from a website forum? I am the owner of a small management consulting firm. My honest and trustworthy reputation is critical to sustaining my livelihood. I recently discovered through a search of my name, my company name and the word "legal" on Google that my name links to a forum that was written with the malicious intent to harm and defame me. It contains accusations of illegal activities like theft and contempt of court, defamatory remarks, and even allegations of bribery. My name and company name have been removed from the forum, but Google still has my name and company name along with provocative teasers in the description like: "because of this asshole we will lose are house". And, the link in the Google search result still carries an interested person to the forum thread in which all the details remain. I want to have this removed quickly -- How can I do this?

thanks

I think I've seen this question before. If the words are not on the site, then the data is on Google's servers - their cache. Typically it will disappear and update itself to show the latest thread. If it's not gone in a few weeks I'd be surprised. Unless your company is well known, I'm guessing virtually no one will see this information.

Internet Forum/Lawsuit Threats

I am on a forum based in the US. We have some posters one in particular
that threatened a lawsuit against the forum because he did not like what
other posters had said about his company. One in particular ( a seller) threatened a lawsuit because a poster said his opinion of the product was over priced. Could we be held responsible for the other posters opinion?

Then another poster PM's the administrator and said that she believes there is a new law that no one can post anything that might hurt a posters feelings. She
was going to get a lawyer to see about it. I think that is insane and sure hope there is no law like that.:nuts Is there?

It is a privately owned forum and there are rules, is there any rule that might help with posters stop threats of legal action?

Numerous people threaten lawsuits all the time. 99% of the time is that it's all huffing and puffing. I know of no law that states you can't hurt someone else's feelings (perhaps if it qualifies as harassment) and much depends upon the exact facts. Regarding sellers and vendors, I've had numerous people contact me to sue others claiming that bad reviews are "defamation" when they aren't - just opinion which another person doesn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back