Former Live-in fiance' wants to come back and take things:

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceguy

I broke it off w/my live-in Fiancé. Issues: She packed while I wasn't home and had three people in the next day to move the boxes w/out notice, or letting me inspect them. I called the police, they asked me to leave the home and said there was nothing I could do about it and then let her take everything. I did convince them to let me stay, but still she moved everything. She now wants to get back into the house to get the remainder of her things. My atty sz I do not have to let her, but the police keep telling me that she can come in whenever she chooses. I've moved all of her things to storage and she has picked them up.
However, she sz she is still going to come to my house and take things off the walls, like light fixtures, curtain rods and drapes she purchased while living here.
I've owned my home since 1999. She has never paid rent, helped w/the mortgage, or had a utility bill in her name and she now has her own apartment.
What can I do when the police do not know the law?
Do I have to let her back in?
Do I have to disconnect lights etc and give them back?

You do not have to let her in. She no longer is a resident at your house and the police do know civil law. Go through your stuff and make sure she did not take anything that does not belong to her. You can sue her in small claims for anything she took that was not hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back