Forged documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinomom

I have filed a complaint with the Department of Labor alleging FMLA violations against my former employer.

In answering the complaint, the employer has submitted two documents that have been tampered with.

The first is a leave of absence form that has the pertinent dates changed.

I have the original document with the correct dates.

The second is a document that is, as they are claiming, the reason for my termination . The signature on this document is not mine. It is signed with my initials and is clearly a forgery, and a very bad attempt at that.

The DOL has stated that they are siding with me and filing a 16B finding that the company has violated FMLA regulations. I'm not sure what that means or what that does, but it does help that someone is listening to me.

I am furious that they would stoop to this and would like to find out if this act of tampering with documents and forging my signature is actionable.

I appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks,
TheDinomom

Actually, signing someone else's name is not a crime unless a fraud is committed. I could sign myself Barbra Streisand if I wished but until I defrauded her or someone else by doing so, it wouldn't be a crime.

I don't blame you for being totally ticked-off but the DOL has ruled in your favor. If you take legal action against the employer for the FMLA violation, the forged documents are going to be damning and make it even more apparent that they violated that law and attempted to cover it up, so these may actually work in your favor. Judgements and settlements for willful violations of the FMLA are often quite substantial - in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you haven't already consulted with an employment law attorney regarding filing a civil suit (when the DOL is finished with their investigation), I suggest you do so.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back