Florida Alimony questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyf

Hello, I have an alimony question since I am defending myself against my wife's divorce filing...

#1 I am currently unemployed / self-employed... no real job or any real income at the moment... however, I am working up a new business and won't be paid anything until September... I hope to be able to pay myself $3000 per month as budgeted to support myself and my 14 year old daughter that I am the sole provider for.

#2 I received custody of my daughter from my first marriage when she was an infant/toddler. Her biological mother is deceased and she receives $608 from Social Security for her mother's death benefit. Right now that is our only income as I am borrowing from my parents until September.

#3 My soon to be ex-wife is voluntarily underemployed. She makes just above minimum wage which is about half of what she made when we married 11 years ago. She has the potential without any further education to make upwards of $40k a year, without a doubt and she could find employment in her field even in this crappy economy!

#4 Her attorney is seeking rehabilitative and/or bridge the gap and/or temporary and/or lump sum alimony. That is up to 4 types of alimony from someone that doesn't even have a current income and is the sole parent and provider for a 14 year old child.

#5 Even based on future earnings, I am still not guaranteed to be able to pay myself $3,000 per month. The wife can make just as much if not more than me without any further education and she receives almost $400 a month child support for her 15 year old daughter from a previous marriage.

#6 We recently filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy which was discharged in October 2009 and have no real liabilities. Some of her jewelry and household furnishings are the only real assets that we have. The house went back to the bank in the bankruptcy which she is in the process of packing up to vacate. I left several weeks ago.

*Given the circumstances mentioned above, what does her alimony chances look like?

*Can I ask the judge to order a sale of marital assets and split that money equally? Assets including non-gifted jewelry, household furnishings and a collection of Fiesta dishes bought during the marriage?

Thank you in advance!

Billy

Hello, I have an alimony question since I am defending myself against my wife's divorce filing..*Given the circumstances mentioned above, what does her alimony chances look like?

Slim and none, at least until your income improves.

In fact, even if your income improves, she might be able to get no alimony.
Even if it is granted, its likely that it will be for a finite term and temporrary (maybe at most a year).

*Can I ask the judge to order a sale of marital assets and split that money equally? Assets including non-gifted jewelry, household furnishings and a collection of Fiesta dishes bought during the marriage?

You can ask.

I'm sure she'll fight you.

But, that's for the court to determine.

One final thought, BEG or BORROW help from your parents to hire an attorney.

You don't want her to have an attorney, and you to go in pro se.

Her attorney will screw you!

For your sake (and your 14 year old child's), ask your parents to help you with hiring an attorney.

I've seen this a million times, you're about be penetrated without the benefit of a kiss, lube, or a condom!

Please, ask your family to help you hire a lawyer.

You must protect your future assets for your daughter's benefit.

You might want to consider being an employee of the business, initially.

Your parents could be the legal owners, and you would be their General Manager!

Since you didn't have children with wife # 2, she shouldn't be allowed to leech off of your for the rest of her life.

She is a grown women, and she should support herself!

Last edited:
On the plus side, she will NOT receive four different types of alimony. Period.

Hmmmm.... Maybe you should counter-file and ask for alimony from her!

OTOH, you didn't say why you're unemployed, or whether or not you are capable of making a substantial income at this time. Your bankruptcy would suggest that the answer is no.

However, if you are unemployed by choice, and capable of making a lot more than your wife, it is possible that you could be ordered to pay alimony.

I agree that retaining a lawyer is a good idea.

Do you and your wife have any kids together I cannot tell. How long have you been married for? Unless there is a history of you making considerably more than her, you should not be paying alimony. You need to see an attorney and get some sort of job even if it is minimum wage.

We each have a daughter from a previous marriage... no kids together...

Married for almost 11 years... 9/4/99 - 3/30/10...

I did great in 2005 but have regressed ever since... she has earned more than me since 2006... 2007, 2008 and 2009...

I have a job as I'm starting up my own business... won't get paid anything until September... so I have a job just no income until September...

And even then I'm only going to pay myself $3,000 per month including a $600 car and gas allowance until October 2011. Then I might increase my salary, maybe not...

*Still going in alone... ready to file my 60+ legal page written response this Friday... I just can't see the need in an attorney given the circumstances... the assets are minimal and I just want them sold and the proceeds split 50/50...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions... Billy

Given your last post, she is UNLIKELY to get alimony. However, don't "counterfile" anything (that isn't even a legal term) hire an attorney. I am fond of saying, "If you put me up against my 10 year old son in just about ANY venue (except video games) I can crush him." The point? When you go into court against an attorney you might as well be 10 and he/she is a pro. Don't do it! You will regret it if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back