Consumer Fraud fisherbell cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

farah arinah

I would like to ask 'the law' about the fisherbell cases..
This cases is about the consumer that misrepresantation about the ticket price of a drawing.
I would like to know the full story of these cases start from the situation until the court decision..
Really thank you..

Okay, I'm feeling a bit charitable this evening, I'll do your homework for you. I am admitted to practiced in Australia and the US. I actually remember this case.

In this case (Fisher v Bell [1961] 1 QB 394) the defendant, a merchant, was prosecuted for displaying an illegal switchblade knife for sale in his shop window. Such an offering (display) was prohibited under the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act of 1951. Subsequently the shopkeeper was convicted. On appeal, however, it was held that "offer for sale" has a technical meaning under contract law, and a shop window display is an "invitation to treat", not an "offer" under contractual terms. The conviction was overturned on appeal.

As a result of the Fisher v. Bell case above, in 1961 the law was refined and another act passed making it an offense to "expose for the purpose of sale" any offensive weapon.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back