Fired, no letter of termination refuse PTO pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparman

i was not specifically told why i was fired. i have asked for a letter of termination stating the reasons and i was told by director HR the company does not give letters of termination.

the director also told me that company policy states that when fired i am not entitled to collect my unused PTO.

is this legal?

i will file with EEOC for descrimination, what other steps can i take?

thank you. should the dept of labor be able to help me re: the PTO?

can you point me in the direction of which florida statutes state they are required to give a letter of termination and pay PTO?

are you aware of any other organizations i can turn to (besides DOL and EEOC) before turning to attorney?

yes, i believe my boss didn't like me because i am older, male, more experienced, got a lot of positive attention and was just looking for a way to get rid of me. i do believe i have evidence of discriminatory practices.

thank you

How can I point you to a law that does not exist!? Your Boss not liking you is not illegal discrimination. Now if he fired you due to your being part of a "protected class" then you have a claim. Outside of the agencies you already named you can contact a labor law Attorney, but I suspect he will tell you what I just did

follow up to fired, no letter of termination, refuse PTO

can you help me define the legal basis of your comment, "It is unlawful to refuse a termination letter and not pay you for PTO," i.e. what makes these actions unlawful then.

if i worked in an office and i was the only male, and the same or like standards were being violated by opposite gender colleagues, and no actions were taken against them, then i believe i'm being discriminated on the protected class of gender....possible?

thank you

can you help me define the legal basis of your comment, "It is unlawful to refuse a termination letter and not pay you for PTO," i.e. what makes these actions unlawful then.

Define what!? Unless you have a contract that says otherwise there no law that forces an employer to give you a termination letter or pay you PTO

if i worked in an office and i was the only male, and the same or like standards were being violated by opposite gender colleagues, and no actions were taken against them, then i believe i'm being discriminated on the protected class of gender....possible?

"males" (in general) are not a "protected class"! Are you Black, Hispanic etc? Are you Gay? Were you fired because of your religious beliefs? Was your age the reason for firing? These are all protected by law

so you are saying, unless under contract, it is legal to not give a termination letter or pay PTO?

a basis of descrimination is gender, tons of precedent on women not being treated equally with men, are you saying it doesn't work in reverse?

Google Employment At Will States.

If yours is listed, enjoy your time off . . . unless there have been several firings of older employees, to establish a pattern of age discrimination.

I know it hurts to get fired, but it sounds like it is for the best, so find someone who appreciates you.

It is unlawful to refuse a termiantion letter and not pay you for PTO.

Obviously Jacksgal mistyped. She meant it is NOT unlawful and she explained that is a downthread post.

First of all, there is no law in Florida requiring any termination notice in any form. If the employer does not provide them, you have NO recourse to make them provide one.

Neither is there any law in Florida requiring payout of accrued vacation at termination. If you think you are owed it under some contractual agreement, you would have to file a civil suit.

How can something you've earned be taken from you?....they have to give you your last paycheck....so why not PTO?

If no letter or reason is needed, they why would we have discrimination categories at all....and if you represent a threat to your boss because you have more credentials, are older, more experienced (even though i never wanted her job)....and that is the real basis, not performance.....is that not an act of discriminating? even if it borders on the greyish level of irritated by personality differences/jealous of my advancement/fear of my qualification.....where there is a will there is a way and a legal way to prove it...true.....this is serious stuff.....finances stopped immediate, firing effects my future because in my industry your reference means everything, and my community is smallish where i live....i really think i have to fight this on that basis alone....anyone have any helpful ideas?

How can something you've earned be taken from you?....they have to give you your last paycheck....so why not PTO?

If no letter or reason is needed, they why would we have discrimination categories at all....and if you represent a threat to your boss because you have more credentials, are older, more experienced (even though i never wanted her job)....and that is the real basis, not performance.....is that not an act of discriminating? even if it borders on the greyish level of irritated by personality differences/jealous of my advancement/fear of my qualification.....where there is a will there is a way and a legal way to prove it...true.....this is serious stuff.....finances stopped immediate, firing effects my future because in my industry your reference means everything, and my community is smallish where i live....i really think i have to fight this on that basis alone....anyone have any helpful ideas?

for every hour worked, i earn x% of PTO, paid time off, to use however i want, for sick, vacation etc. at the point of firing i had earned approximately 100hours of PTO.

Ok but we arent done yet. What other stipulation are there for this PTO? Like must you work a required amount of hours to use the PTO or must any other requirement.

Honestly, how it is earned, accrued, taken, whatever is ALL irrelevant. Unless you have a contract requiring earned but untaken vacation be paid out at termination, the employer does NOT have to do it. Period.

Honestly, how it is earned, accrued, taken, whatever is ALL irrelevant. Unless you have a contract requiring earned but untaken vacation be paid out at termination, the employer does NOT have to do it. Period.

Agreed I was trying to give him a remote (very) legal arguement if he decided to attempt to pursue this further

no other stipulations that i know of at this time. only stipulation is that i couldn't use any before my first 90 days, i had already used some.

do i have a right to request a copy of the company handbook? do i have a right to request a copy of my hr file, or to go and review and inventory my hr file?

no other stipulations that i know of at this time. only stipulation is that i couldn't use any before my first 90 days, i had already used some.

do i have a right to request a copy of the company handbook? do i have a right to request a copy of my hr file, or to go and review and inventory my hr file?
Not in the state of Florida. You might of had a better shot when you were still employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back