Fired from (retail store) for a sunburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schultz18

So I've been a employee since 06/2013 I recently got fired for the following reason one of my managers asked me if I can unload a truck I told her no I couldn't she asked me why not ? I said in return well I went to the water park yesterday and I ended up getting burnt . She looked at me like I was full of it and said ok . Than I continued doing my job I was a sales associate the asst manager only had me on the schedule that day and I was covering 2 departments when he came around the first manager that asked me told him his name was mike she told mike that I couldn't because of a sunburn I over heard him say I'll get his ass to do it . When he finally approached me he said Ivan I need you to unload the truck I said no I'm sorry but I have a serious sunburn . He said I don't care your gonna do it because I say so ! I said no. I'm sorry I can't the burn hurts its pain full he said please come with me to my office we ended up in his office and he said your gonna do what I say when I say it I said sir I'm sorry but I'm your sales floor employe I'm covering to departments I can't drop my things and go to the back I have a burn its pain full and that a other reason why I can't he said do you want to talk to the gm I said yes please I would love that he didn't call him he called a co manager and when she came in she was talking in a smart tone and said you can do this or your fired in the end I was fired because I refused to do something I was told to do because of a health condition . So I feel very disrespected tiny spit on and slapped so what I'm looking for is a answer to see if there is any legal thing I can do because I feel I was fired for the wrong reason please let me know thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
You have nowhere to go with this. Try to find a new job as quickly as you can because you won't likely get unemployment.
Next time do what you are asked. You might do it slowly or inefficiently if you are sore, but you won't be insubordination.
Your sunburn is not a health condition that protects you here. You were healthy enough to be at work, so do as you are asked.

You didn't get fired because you have a sunburn. You were fired because you were asked to do a job and you refused. A sunburn is not a protected health condition.

There is no "wrong reason, because they don't need a reason to fire you.

They can legally fire you for wearing blue socks. Or the boss had a hangover. Or basically any reason (or no reason at all) unless it specifically falls under a protected category.

(Yours doesn't)

Yes, you have a legal option, to seek other employment or not. Ain't America great or not?

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

Ok having a sunburn isn't a health condition I was wrong in sorry it's a physical condition I was able to go to work because I was a sales associate I applied and got hired to help customers I was able to do that with a sunburn or not !... Now unloading a semi truck TRAILER is a whole different thing I would I have lift stretch turn move fast twist bend over throw and etc. I was able to do my job that I was hired for also I was covering 2 other departments and help my customers .. I feel like they had no reason to fire me when I was hired for a certain position and they fired me for a other position Im not able to do or not hired for !!

They could assign you to mop the floor if they wanted.
You have nowhere to go with this complaint.
Unless it is illegal or violates some policy, do what your employer asks.

Unless you have a binding employment contract that states you can only be required to do the job you were hired for, they can ask you to do other jobs & you need to comply.

Ok having a sunburn isn't a health condition I was wrong in sorry it's a physical condition I was able to go to work because I was a sales associate I applied and got hired to help customers I was able to do that with a sunburn or not !... Now unloading a semi truck TRAILER is a whole different thing I would I have lift stretch turn move fast twist bend over throw and etc. I was able to do my job that I was hired for also I was covering 2 other departments and help my customers .. I feel like they had no reason to fire me when I was hired for a certain position and they fired me for a other position Im not able to do or not hired for !!

Yes you were treated unfairly but that alone wont win you any lawsuit. They did not violate any law. You might have had a chance if you had refused to do task.

You might have had a chance if you had refused to do task.

It might just be me but I'm not sure what you are saying here. A chance at what? OP did refuse to do task/job - that is why he was terminated which was not illegal. You do what you are asked to do.

It might just be me but I'm not sure what you are saying here. A chance at what? OP did refuse to do task/job - that is why he was terminated which was not illegal. You do what you are asked to do.

I'm sure it's a typo.... hadn't refused

I'm sure it's a typo.... hadn't refused

I think so too but I didn't want OP to think he was saying had refused which is what OP did.

Good suggestion, Proserpina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back